Hi, I replaced my harddrive in my laptop. When I use it for about an hour the screen goes white. Could it be overheating? I'm not sure if the fan still works. thanks. crzyfingrs

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Possibly...Give us some guidance as to the type of laptop.

Model # and Brand would really help :mrgreen:

My laptop is a compaq armada 7400. I noticed that the fan still does work. Thanks :)

My laptop is a compaq armada 7400. I noticed that the fan still does work. Thanks :)

Hmm....

I've seen a few older Armadas with a display problem, but the color isn't usually white. I find that sort of odd, but it must be some sort of internal damage.

What operating system are you running? If it's XP, have you upgraded to Service Pack 2? There are a few errors that propagate as a result of that.

Let me know either on the board or in a PM.
:cheesy:

The new harddrive runs WIN98. The harddrive came with that, not 98 se.My old harddrive crashed and was making alot of rattling noise. I suspect that I set it down one day too hard and damaged it.I don't remember doing that but I could have while transporting it. I have a PII ,300mhz, 64 MB.
I do have an old 98se cd if I want to reinstall that rather than the reg 98. thanks for the help. CF

Hmm....

I've seen a few older Armadas with a display problem, but the color isn't usually white. I find that sort of odd, but it must be some sort of internal damage.

What operating system are you running? If it's XP, have you upgraded to Service Pack 2? There are a few errors that propagate as a result of that.

Let me know either on the board or in a PM.
:cheesy:

I have had this very problem for several years now with my Armada 1750.After upgrading to Win2000Pro I want to put this annoying problem to rest. I cannot be sure it is not heat related or connection related. I have had the problem at times during a cold boot and other times I have gone for hour without a problem. At one time (not lately) I was able to either, open and close the LCD lid several times quickly to bring the display back or at other times, simply pressing the lid closed micro-switch would bring back the display. I took the LCD panel off once and found the ribbon cable runs through the left hinge. I found no apparent connection problems. Can we solve this?????

A friends Compaq 1925 presario just turned Basically White with about 1/6 of it being Black Stips -it used to be black with the red compaq logo

after rebooting it then goes through the normal black while the operating system is coming up - but then becomes almost vitually white with a very very pale green tint

it seems there are constant problems with compaq laptop

I have bought a ProStar 5100S back in 2001. Now I know that this is a type of Laptop that isn't regularly or widely seen.

Instead of buying a new laptop I decided to upgrading the laptop. Starting out with more RAM and then eventually upgrading my small hard drive to a much larger one. I have never had problems with this laptop until recently. Its been with me through a lot and has some battle scars.

Well the problem I have now is that the screen on this laptop turns white now. It does feel as though it gets a little warm as it still retains the original cooling unit. My friend who is a computer engineer said it could be the LCD cable.

Since the upgrades should I upgrade my cooling unit and then change the LCD cable? Or should I just drop the laptop off a bridge and get a new one?

Thanks

I seem to have fixed the problem...However this is not for the faint of heat or the electronic novice. As I said in my original post I just upgraded my Armada 1750 to Win2000Pro but the screen problem was getting worse and worse. So I took about 90 minutes and took the computer apart. BUT THIS MAY HAVE NOT BEEN REQUIRED READ POST COMPLETELY! If you want to do this I suggest a small straight blade screw driver for the case screws a set of jewelers screwdrivers with phillips heads, a pair of cosmetic tweezers and a maybe a small pair of needle nose pliers. So I removed all the case screws and took the battery, hard drive and floppy drive out. Then I took the screen off. I removed the keyboard and the ribbon cable and then took out layer upon layer of circuit boards until I could finally see the traces running to the white connector, which the monitor plugs into. I took my 8x loupe and carefully pushed white plastic connector holder while I looked for any breaks in the solder joints leading to the connector. Unfortunately I would have had to take even more boards out to make a more thorough inspection. As it happened I found nothing wrong. I checked the monitor side of the connector and poke around with a super small screwdriver (you could use a fine paper clip) to try and tighten up the wire to clip connection. I put it all back together simply hoping the computer would just work as well as did before and to my surprise the screen did not falter after boot-up and has not shown any problem since I "fixed" it 2 weeks ago now. On first boot-up I had to make some selections in the boot screen since I had added memory during the upgrade and the BIOS was not recognizing it since I removed the battery during the “fix. Anyway THIS WAS ALL POSSIBLE WITHOUT TAKING THE COMPUTER APART! From what I can tell, unless I jiggled something else when I disassembled the whole thing; All you have to do after removing power and the battery, is remove the left monitor hinge cover (1 screw), carefully pull the white connector plug (with tweezers or needle nose pliers) and simply apply a very tiny amount of pressure to each pin in the connector to ever so slightly bend the pin so it may come in better contact with its mate. Also use the fine paperclip wire and make sure the wires on the monitor side are firmly connected to the embedded clips. It currently my belief it was a connection problem I unwittingly fixed. I have heard of others claiming it was an overheating problem with the video board and in one case the guy had it replaced and the problem came back shortly after. Good luck with what ever you do but if you are in the least bit unsure, get someone competent or find someone who has balls and will buy you another laptop if he screws yours up!

help. my gateway mx6447 laptop screen turned white. what can i do to fix this

my laptop screen goes white around 1 hour after i turn it on... how could i solve this problem.. can somebody help me about this problem please..

I had the same white screen death problem while i was palying a game ("monkey island")....i simply pressed the windows key.....the screen came back to NORMAL(!) showing my desktop which was a higher resolution than that of the game....i clicked the game again on the taskbar....the game showed up well as before.....(not for long though...white screen came back soon).....was forced to repeat this pressing of Windows key in order to bring back the high resolution desktop to my view.......Maybe it was because of a problem of "heated" graphics card !! ((eventually, i pressed the hibernate button and then resumed power a few minutes later for the G Card to cool.....No White screen of death for quite a looooong time !!! Like a Charm ! ))

so u can TRY YOURSELVES by assigning a SHORTCUT KEY to a 'game' or other 'Programs' that can run in lower resolution(u can even do that by checking the 'Properties' option)...so you can switch to a display other than the white screen !

This is a temporary solution but yet helps you from the burden of shutting down the computer to Escape from the 'WHITE SCREEN of death'

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.