Have a 2005 Compaq Desktop computer with P4 processor running Windows XP PRO. I am a fulltime RV'er currently spending the winter in Florida. I have encountered a problem which occurs when the computer is off for several days when we travel. When turning the computer on after it has been off, I get distorted graphics at the post and windows welcome screen, consisting of black vertical bars and "smears" when the mouse is moved. The first time this happened, I was able to eventually get it to operate correctly after repeated re-boots. Now I have returned after being away five days and the problem has reoccurred, only this time the computer freezes at the Compaq welcome screen, and only a portion of the graphic is visible behind the garbage running on the screen. I am not able to get into Windows, Safe Mode, or access anything using F1, F2, F8 or F10 commands. I have checked and cleaned CPU fan, etc. I do NOT have the original Windows disk as Compaq only provides a "reinstall drivers" CD. Is this a hardware problem or a software problem? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

this sounds like it could be a hardware problem with the video card.
which compaq computer is it. I would like to look up the specs on it.

in the mean time
the first thing I would do is to determine for sure if its the computer or the monitor thats giving these problems. If you can try a known good monitor on the computer to see if you get the same results.

If you do then we know for sure the problem is in the computer.

do you know if the video card is integrated on to the motherboard or is it installed into an expansion slot on the motherboard?

if you dont know, we need to know which compaq computer you have.

Sounds like your graphics card may be about to die or in process.
What kind of video card do you have in there?

Could also be a power issue, but since it's a P4 I'd wager that it's just an old box that has one or the other going bad.

this sounds like it could be a hardware problem with the video card.
which compaq computer is it. I would like to look up the specs on it.

in the mean time
the first thing I would do is to determine for sure if its the computer or the monitor thats giving these problems. If you can try a known good monitor on the computer to see if you get the same results.

If you do then we know for sure the problem is in the computer.

do you know if the video card is integrated on to the motherboard or is it installed into an expansion slot on the motherboard?

if you dont know, we need to know which compaq computer you have.

I am fairly skilled at software issues, but dumb as a stump as to hardware/internals (I wouldn't know a video card if it bit me). I have no monitor to test, but the options menu integrated into the monitor will come up and is normal in appearance.

The computer specs are: Compaq Presario 061 PU167AV-ABA SR1020T NA560 O3p1411CT101GOLD300 System Serial #MXG523064G

Board: ASUSTeK Computer, INC. Goldfish 31.xx

Display Adapter: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

Monitor: Compaq FP17

Hope this helps.

I am fairly skilled at software issues, but dumb as a stump as to hardware/internals (I wouldn't know a video card if it bit me). I have no monitor to test, but the options menu integrated into the monitor will come up and is normal in appearance.

The computer specs are: Compaq Presario 061 PU167AV-ABA SR1020T NA560 O3p1411CT101GOLD300 System Serial #MXG523064G

Board: ASUSTeK Computer, INC. Goldfish 31.xx

Display Adapter: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

Monitor: Compaq FP17

Hope this helps

There's a clue. When you boot, there are no drivers other than the BIOS which works in basic VGA mode. When you get to the Windows bit, you get the basic Windows VGA driver which then has to switch in the Video Graphics card driver to get to normal display mode. In all cases, the display signals go through the Video card. It seems to me that the video "card" is indeed biting you by not operating properly in colour mode or at higher screen frequencies.

I believe that on your PC, the video "card" is integrated on the motherboard, and the PC is rather old to be investing in an external card to restore graphics, although there are cheap video cards available don't set the games world alight if that's all you need. When a video card is added, its BIOS usually disables the onboard video system. But best that a pro or semi-pro does that bit for you.

Hope that helps and also that compdoc doesn't mind my intrusion as I happened to be online at the same time as SCREENBOB.

the video is integrated on the motherboard and there is no AGP slot. So I'm not sure that this computer will even support another video card. If you can find the option in the BIOS to disable the onboard video, then you might be able to buy a PCI video card for the computer. But considering the age of the computer it's probably better to invest in a newer computer.

Hope that helps and also that compdoc doesn't mind my intrusion as I happened to be online at the same time as SCREENBOB.

I dont mind at all. I dont have all the answers and I need help just as much as the next one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.