http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/ide-to-sata-converter.htm i was wondering if that would change the transfer speed too...since they say sata is faster...i dont know if it would or not..but would it?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

thats an interesting one, I don't think it would as your existing device is not designed to use the SATA interface.

Could be worng, but is definately an interesting one.

Not a modder as such, but would prefer to have nice small SATA cables going to my optical drives rather than IDE cables, even the Round IDE cables seem to take up loads of space, and get in the god damn way. (Rant, rant, rant)

Anyway, back to the point - I dont think so but would be interested to hear from anyone that knows for definate.

SE (Dave)

http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/ide-to-sata-converter.htm i was wondering if that would change the transfer speed too...since they say sata is faster...i dont know if it would or not..but would it?

Well it looks like the max it would transfer is 133MB/s. SATA transfers at 150MB/s so I'm not sure why you would want this adapter. It would be better to just buy an ATA/IDE drive instead of a more expensive SATA drive and converter.

Even so, the max transfer speed doesn't matter that much in this case. The performance difference between SATA and PATA drives is negligible, and drives never hit anywhere near the max transfer speeds (which are theoretical) of the interface they use in general operations.

Even so, the max transfer speed doesn't matter that much in this case. The performance difference between SATA and PATA drives is negligible, and drives never hit anywhere near the max transfer speeds (which are theoretical) of the interface they use in general operations.

True but I just don't know why you would buy a SATA drive if you would need to use an adapter? Why not just go with a cheaper ATA drive?

True but I just don't know why you would buy a SATA drive if you would need to use an adapter? Why not just go with a cheaper ATA drive?

You can carry the drive across to a SATA ready system in future, and SATA drives are not that much more expensive these days.

But yeah, I'd just buy a PATA drive. :cheesy:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.