Please help me! I have Panther installed on my G5. I was just using Safari to browse the web when Safari froze up on me. I tried killing the app and the rest of my machine froze completely. I waited a few minutes and nothing happened so I decided to bite the bullet and manually pull the plug, so to speak. I shut down the machine, waited a few minutes, and started it up again. It got as far as the white screen with the grey apple logo and just hung there. I figured i'd give it a few minutes in case it was running something similar to fsck. Suddenly the machine (I think it was the fans) got realllllllllly loud and louder like something was terribly overheating. I turned it off again immediately. I'm afraid to turn it back on. It's a new G5. It froze on me once before since I had it in which case I shut it down, waited a few minutes, turned it back on, and everything was a-okay. Please help :(

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Got a screwdriver? De-case it and start it up again. Listen for where the noise is coming from and disconnect that bit. Start it up again and see what happens.

I don't even think you need a screwdriver to open the mac case ;-)

I have the same Problem now.... could you fix this problem?

Any answers to this problem?

I don't even think you need a screwdriver to open the mac case ;-)

Yes, you need a medium Phillips screwdriver.

As for the loud fan noises? It's quite common on the iMac (I've had it happen on my G5), but I don't think it's something to worry about too much. Basically, Mac OS X controls how much fan to turn on based on the temperature. If something goes haywire, such as Mac OS X freezing or something, it can no longer evaluate and control the fans. This is when the emergency backup kicks in, so to speak, it powers full blast to make sure that nothing overheats. So although it sounds scary, don't fret it. (And the fan noises always get loud in Single User Mode, too.)

To fix the starting up, let it sit there for about 20 minutes. If it still refuses to start up, I would suggest booting from the OS X install disk, and then doing a Archive+Install.

Please help me! I have Panther installed on my G5. I was just using Safari to browse the web when Safari froze up on me. I tried killing the app and the rest of my machine froze completely. I waited a few minutes and nothing happened so I decided to bite the bullet and manually pull the plug, so to speak. I shut down the machine, waited a few minutes, and started it up again. It got as far as the white screen with the grey apple logo and just hung there. I figured i'd give it a few minutes in case it was running something similar to fsck. Suddenly the machine (I think it was the fans) got realllllllllly loud and louder like something was terribly overheating. I turned it off again immediately. I'm afraid to turn it back on. It's a new G5. It froze on me once before since I had it in which case I shut it down, waited a few minutes, turned it back on, and everything was a-okay. Please help :(

If the Mac doesn't get past the boot screen, the fan-controlling s/w won't get loaded, so it WILL sound like a 747 at take off. Ignore it - it's hamless, honest. Anytime I'm in single user mode at work, either for fsck or Applejack (great free utility), my dual 2.5 G5 sounds like a vacuum cleaner. With your freeze, it sounds like there's a disk corruption:- try booting in single-user mode & running fsck -fy, or use your Panther DVD, start from that (boot with the C held down) and repair volume. It could even need an archive & install, then add the 10.4.8 combo updater. Keep us posted, Ted

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.