Hey folks I really need your help on this one bad. Here is the symptoms/scenario.

System:
Pentium 3 933 Chip
ASUS CUV4X Board & AOpen Ti4200 128 MB Video
768MB PC 133 RAM
Plextor 12/10/32, Pioneer DVD, Asus CDRom 52X
Maxtor UDMA PCI IDE Card
WD 80GB Drive

--> I went to boot my computer up yesterday and it went through POST and while processing the RAM count I noticed it said Pentium III 433Mhz, so I immediately went into the BIOS and check the settings. Nope, BIOS states 933.

Fine, reboot and go into windows. Then once in windows my DVD ROM locked up reading a DVD, and the system froze a few moments afterwards. I reset the system. Now the system wouldn't even go through POST. Just sat there with the lights on. Reset it once more. Same result. I killed the power, and turned the system back on. Booted up fine, except for the Pentium III 433Mhz showing up again.

So I went into the bios and set the CPU speed manually. Rebooted and things were fine. Or so they appeared. Once in windows and after a bit, my MMC (Management Console wouldn't load ... just gave me an error, then windows crashed. Leave it to say, several reboots and power ups it took for me to get my system back up. Things seem fine this morning.

But what I want to know is: Is it the Motherboard, CPU or something else that is causing this to happen?

Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

--> I went to boot my computer up yesterday and it went through POST and while processing the RAM count I noticed it said Pentium III 433Mhz, so I immediately went into the BIOS and check the settings. Nope, BIOS states 933.

Is it possible that your CMOS settings have become corrupted? If, somehow, your RAM clock settings were dropped to 60 or 66 MHz, something like that could happen--or if the CPU frequency multiplier was set to 3.5 instead of 7 or some combination of the two settings?

I'd reset the CMOS.

Unplug system, short CMOS jumper, connect back, plug in power.

I don't think you can change the multiplier on a Pentium chip. Front side bus I know you can.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.