Hi,

I am working on upgrading Compaq pro EM series desktop for a co-worker. I was adding a second HDD and 1g RAM. After plugging in the HDD, the computer stopped working. Every time I boot up it takes me to the Compaq splash screen with an option to hit f10 to enter setup, but it doesn't work and the hour glass in the corner is frozen.

I tried removing the new HDD from the computer and booting just using the old one, but now it does the same thing. The computer was working before I added components, but I need the new HDD to work. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Make sure you didn't bump anything and unplug a cable somewhere, especially from the hard drive you are booting off of. Next, check the boot list in BIOS and make sure the hard drive you are booting from is on that list.

Make sure you didn't bump anything and unplug a cable somewhere, especially from the hard drive you are booting off of. Next, check the boot list in BIOS and make sure the hard drive you are booting from is on that list.

I had been booting it on it's side for convenience's sake (limited room to work) and I tipped it up, checked the connections and tried again. Still no luck. I am unable to get to the BIOS screen, it's like the computer just gave up. Which is possible I guess, I was told it's been in a box for a few years collecting dust. :(

Did you try the old memory to see if it would boot up?

Yes, I replaced the new memory with the old one but now it's doing the same thing. I gave up, I haven't had much luck with Compaqs anyway.

You must go into the B.I.O.S.
Unplug your comuter.
Try to pick up the battery.....or jumer from 1-2 to 2-3,that is located around the battery...wait some minute....
If you are in the B.I.O.S then 'press load setup default' save and exit

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.