I have a Gateway MX7340 laptop that is two years old. Windows XP SP2. When I power it up all I get is a black screen and I do not hear any processes running, only the fan. Nothing happens at all. The computer did not come with a start up disc. Any ideas???

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

If the computer runs and has no display try the reseating the memory modules, as usually the video does not work if there's a problem with the memory.

First, try plugging in an auxiliary monitor into the VGA port if this laptop has one, and see if you get a picture from it.

Also, try the Fn key, cycling this key may make a display work whereas it would not before.

Thanks, I will give these things a try and let you know. JC

If the computer runs and has no display try the reseating the memory modules, as usually the video does not work if there's a problem with the memory.

First, try plugging in an auxiliary monitor into the VGA port if this laptop has one, and see if you get a picture from it.

Also, try the Fn key, cycling this key may make a display work whereas it would not before.

i have tried to do the fn and plugging in another monitor and still nothing happens at all

I have a gateway laptop and the screen is black. i can hear it when i turn it up as if its going to start up but thats all it does. i can see the lights to let me know that the power works but thats all. i have plugged in another monitor to the laptop and i have tried the fn key and still nothing works.

Try taking out the laptop battery, holding down the power button for 10-15 seconds, pop the battery abck in, then power it on, your screen should come back.

I have the same problem and tried all of these remedies to no avail. If there is anything else to try and remedy the problem it, would be a great help.

Did you guys solve this problem? Ive got the same with a Gateway p6860fx.
screen just black
cant use hdmi, or connect it to another pc.
tried with different ram modules.

hello, i have a gateway laptop power off,when i plugge in the ac adepter the power
led indicator will come on but when i press the power button it will go off. any solution?

thank you.

@ YOMAMA
Thanks I have been trying since Christmas 2010 to get my monitor to come on and nothing helped. I did what you said by taking battery out holding power button. Soon as I put the battery back in I have a screen :) thanks again

I have a gateway Gt5428 , I can see the cursor come up but everything else is black, Please help

commented: ` +0

You need to start a new thread. This one dates back to 2007!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.