Hiya, late last year I built my own custom system which is based around an AMD 64 running at 3500+ with an artic cooling fan, an A8V deluxe wireless edition MB, 1GB of RAM, 6800GT graphics, Thermaltake case & PSU etc, which has not been overclocked.

This system has worked perfectly until I decided to install the A8V wireless card ready for broadband (I have just moved house and am now in range). The system will now work for about 20-30 mins and then lockup requiring a complete switch off from the mains to reboot. In system and hardware properties I have disabled the wireless/network entries and all is fine and working again now. Obviously I would like tio get this problem sorted out to get my new broadband working when I am enabled by BT. I initially thought it was either the system overheating and locking (although all seems well otherwise and the internal temps are normal or they should be with the amount of fans built into the case) or could it be a power problem (thermaltake 450w PSU). Any ideas - thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Did you look for and install the most recent drivers for your wireless card?

Hiya, late last year I built my own custom system which is based around an AMD 64 running at 3500+ with an artic cooling fan, an A8V deluxe wireless edition MB, 1GB of RAM, 6800GT graphics, Thermaltake case & PSU etc, which has not been overclocked.

I once experienced the same thing with my system. The problem that I had was with my power supply. I had all this awesome, high-end stuff, but my power supply couldn't put out. Just a quick estimate, with all the stuff you said you had, you'd need about...

233 W -For everything Listed
+025 W -For each optical Drive
+030 W -For every Hard Drive
+060 W -For a high-end Sound Card
+012 W -For every other Fan

This system has worked perfectly until I decided to install the A8V wireless card ready for broadband (I have just moved house and am now in range). The system will now work for about 20-30 mins and then lockup requiring a complete switch off from the mains to reboot. In system and hardware properties I have disabled the wireless/network entries and all is fine and working again now. Obviously I would like tio get this problem sorted out to get my new broadband working when I am enabled by BT. I initially thought it was either the system overheating and locking (although all seems well otherwise and the internal temps are normal or they should be with the amount of fans built into the case) or could it be a power problem (thermaltake 450w PSU). Any ideas - thanks in advance

to me it sounds like a psu problem by not being powerful enough...6800gt plus a 3500 eats a lot of power, especially if you have a second hard drive 450 is pushing the limit of power...anyways, my other question is the wireless in a pci slot? if it is try moving it to an other slot because sometimes especially the slot right under the graphis card is not fully functional and might cause problems (i learned from my linksys pci) cheers

Okay, I tried moving the card to slot 4 with no difference. I tried removing the DVD burner, floppy drive and sound card to see if I needed a little bit of extra power and no difference. I tried uninstalling the card etc and that did'nt work. Tried updating the drivers for the card, flashing the BIOS etc. Bit of a loose end now. Maybe because my hardware from my ISP for the phone line end of the system has not arrived yet so although I am wireless ready at the PC end there is nothing for it to connect to yet, could that be causing the lockup. When I disable the card it still all works fine again. Any ideas ???

to me it sounds like a psu problem by not being powerful enough...6800gt plus a 3500 eats a lot of power, especially if you have a second hard drive 450 is pushing the limit of power...anyways, my other question is the wireless in a pci slot? if it is try moving it to an other slot because sometimes especially the slot right under the graphis card is not fully functional and might cause problems (i learned from my linksys pci) cheers

:D Problem solved (so far anyway). I tried updating the ASUS drivers with no joy. Then after digging a little deeper I discovered that while ASUS made the card the chipset was made by someone else, I downloaded their driver and bingo - no crashes so far. Thanks for your help.......so far. We will see if it stays crash free

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.