Does anyone know if its at all possible to un-do 'Restore factory settings'? I was told to do this when having problems starting windows and I lost everything on my hard drive including thousands of precious photos, music and documents.

I have an Acer Aspire 5100.

I will be SOO grateful for any help.

Thank you kindly

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

No, once you reset to the factory settings, you have to configure it manually. However, this has nothing to do with the info on your drive. You can simply take out the hard drive from the laptop and connect it to another computer and recover your files. Unless you formatted it, which will make it very hard.

This is why nobody uses the desktop for storing pictures and stuff, and make another partition on the drive, one that is not lost should one get a virus or if the system crashes.

I'm guessing by "restored to factory setting", you were referring to running a Recovery Install (ie, reinstalling Windows).

If that is the case, the Recovery would have formatted the drive prior to reinstalling Windows, in which case all info would be lost.

As the poster before mentioned, ALWAYS save personal files on either a separate partition, or better yet on an external HDD.

i hav porbelm phone code

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.