tMy Compaq desktop lost video after plugging ipod into the front USB port. Monitor works but says it is not linked to anything. The power light is on on CPU and fan on power supply is running. The board looks fine. What did I fry?

Steve

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

By CPU I assume you actually mean PC? Your PSU (Power Supply Unit) is undoubtedly what has died as it provides the +5 volts that the USB system uses. You will need to replace it.

By CPU I assume you actually mean PC? Your PSU (Power Supply Unit) is undoubtedly what has died as it provides the +5 volts that the USB system uses. You will need to replace it.

I changed the power supply and that did not fix it. I see a blistered chip on the mother board so I think it's done.
Thanks

That will probably be a blown voltage regulator or one of the Uart chips. Replacing the motherboard will be your only course of action.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.