hello everybody ,
i wish i am on the right thread : here is my problem . i recentlty purchased an 80 GB second hand drive seagate model:ST380021A . when i first instlled it, it was recognized on the black screen as having 80 gb .i clicked on F1 to save the changes and went on to look into its content but it said that it needed formating first. when i wanted to format it ,it revealed that it had 111 gb instead of the 80 which it normally should have . i really cant imagine where those 31 Gb !!! anyway i decided to go on formatting it .but before it comleted the formating a pop up came up saying that windows didn't manage to do the formating . i tried both Fta and nfts but nothing changed . it always says : "windows 'a pas pu effectuer le formatage" . what shall i do ?? i badly need this 80 gb drive !! please help .

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Did you try formatting via prompt?

The windows disk management should tell you the size of the drive and should be able to format from there.

"Did you try formatting via prompt?"
thanks XLphos. i can't see what you mean by "prompts" !! I am sorry i am not that good in PCs ,and French is my prior language but i can follow in english !! never mind just give further details please !! thank you very much once again !!

Friend
You didnt told wht is ur PC configuration and wht the size of your Old HDD? some Older CPU s give Trouble when You add More than 250 GB(sum of all drives) if that was not The case right click on my computer,mange\ disk management see ur drive is visible there (as disk 1 (not disk0) right click upon that newly visible disk and make partition. This may solve your problem

Friend
You didnt told wht is ur PC configuration and wht the size of your Old HDD? some Older CPU s give Trouble when You add More than 250 GB(sum of all drives) .
thanks for your cooperation : i have a preinstalled master hard drive 40gb. pintium 4/processor2.8/ 1024mb memory.
and i intend to install the 80gb drive as a slave which make a total of 120gb only , but it wouldn't format using windows program !!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.