Hi everyone,

A number of questions.

1. On some motherboard they state that the motherboard is 800Mhz DDR FSB.

Does that mean that the motherboard is only compatible with processors that have FSBs' of 800Mhz and below?

2. I have seen some new processors with these terms

celeron 2.4G - I know that G means giga hertz

Now there are some processors that i have seen that have these
markings

Intel Pentium 4 2.53D - What does the d stand for?

Intel Pentium 4 2.4A - What does the A stand for?

Intel Pentium 4 3.0E - What does the E stand for?

AMD S3000 - What does the S stand for?

AMD A3000 - What does the A stand for?

3. Let's assume that i have a 256 DDR 256MB Ram.

Let's also assume that this is the specifications of my motherboard

Pentium 4, Socket 478, 865PE, ATX, 4GB DDR, 800MHz FSB

How from the above specification of the above motherboard will i know that my Ram will be compatible with my above motherboard?

Please explain in detail if possible?

On another urelated question again pointing to the specifications of the above motherboard what does the specification 865PE mean?

4. What is the difference between a single core and double core processor?

Are double core processors installed the same as their single core counterparts?

Are double core processors overclocking done the same as their single core counterparts?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

1. Yes

4. Double core CPUs have 2 separate chips, separate cache etc. The only thing common is the interface to the mobo.
Dual core CPUs will have a diff number of pins compared to the single core CPUs.

Hi Richard. Apologies for the thread deletions, but it's best to keep all of these questions to just one topic - they are related after all. I've also compiled your two answers into one goldeagle.

2. The letters after the Intel CPU model numbers held to identify the revision of the CPU core. E, for example, identifies the CPU as a Prescott core model (a rather toasty one at that).
The AMD CPUs are much the same. I believe "S" means that the CPU is a Sempron core, while "A" is an Athlon 64 core (I assume it's an A64, since Athlon XPs are no longer in production).

3. You haven't identified what speed DDR1 RAM you have there, but it is highly likely that the motherboard, which supports DDR1 RAM, will accept it (up to DDR400 "officially", although higher ratings DDR433 or DDR500 will also probably work). The best way to check is to identify what RAM you have exactly and then have a poke around in your motherboard manual. Some manufacturers also keep a list of tried and tested RAM for their boards.
"i865PE" is the name of the chipset used - a collection of controller chips that make up the motherboard.

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the thread deletions

There's no need to apologize

As for question 3 i am going to rephrase it a bit

You see some ddr rams have this specification

Kingston 400MHz 1 GB PC3200 DDR RAM

My question is what does the PC3200 stand for and more importantly what does it mean?

Also what does the 400MHz stand for and mean?

I tried seaching what the 400MHz mean and they talk something about the bus clock. Is this the same bus clock of the Pentium 4 motherboard?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

Hi everyone,

Sorry bother you guys again but i have one more silly question.

Sometimes on the DDR Rams i see DDR-1 and DDR-2. What are the difference between these two rams and would most motherboards support both DDR-1 and DDR-2 rams respectively.

Richard West

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.