Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I was working with a computer that is rarely used but for a type of server. I use it as part of my whole house audio and to store some videos and music plus some other things. I was working with it a little when it just slowed down to slower than a crawl. I had to do a hard reset. When I started it back up (or tried) it looked like it started but when I came back the screen was black. I restarted again and it would go through the windows logo but only to a black screen. I tried again and again but to no avail. I then tried to boot into safe mode but it would not happen. I shut it down and turned off all power. I pushed the power button to release any current that was left. I restarted and it is now running. What does it sound like to anyone.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

physically check your cables, as usually this problem is caused by human error. next, check all of your volumes. what OS, service pack, and version are you running?
SNIP

Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

XP Pro SP3

I suggest that you enabe your drive's S.M.A.R.T. in BIOS (Self-monitoring and reporting tool). It will alert you IF your HD is dying.

Anyway, that what you've expirianced doesn't mean that your HD is faulty. It looks to me like VGA or mobo is to blame. Possibly lack of contact between the two.

.. one more thing.. This is what a dying HD sounds like.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.