PLEASE HELP ME! I have this really ennoying problem: every now and then (almost every 30 secs) my computer display is getting light green (well not the whole display but it is blurred green if you know what i mean) I don't know what to do! :cry: I don't really know what kind of computer I have... :o I only know i have windows xp home edition version 2002...now for 1 hour the greenyness won't even go away anymore!! Please help me!
bye, Raven
p.s. sorry for my terrible english!

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

PLEASE HELP ME! I have this really ennoying problem: every now and then (almost every 30 secs) my computer display is getting light green (well not the whole display but it is blurred green if you know what i mean) I don't know what to do! :cry: I don't really know what kind of computer I have... :o I only know i have windows xp home edition version 2002...now for 1 hour the greenyness won't even go away anymore!! Please help me!
bye, Raven
p.s. sorry for my terrible english!

Make sure that were the monotor connect to the computer is on tight and right!

Hello,

Agree here. It sounds like a bad connection to me too. If everything is tight, do you have your monitor cable doing weird contortions (bent angles) that the monitor cable suffered internal damage?

Christian

Hello,

Agree here. It sounds like a bad connection to me too. If everything is tight, do you have your monitor cable doing weird contortions (bent angles) that the monitor cable suffered internal damage?

Christian

Sorry, Negative. The cables are perfectly connected. I already checked for contortions but nope i can't find anything that would damage my cable.. :eek:

Sorry, Negative. The cables are perfectly connected. I already checked for contortions but nope i can't find anything that would damage my cable.. :eek:

anyway you could borrow a monitor from a friend to try to see if it goes green !

did that already we have plenty of monitors lying around here but i tried some and that wasnt the problem

i would then try a video card replacement !

i would then try a video card replacement !

nope, doesn't work :cry:

nope, doesn't work :cry:

im lost ,maybe virus or spyware related ,who knows !!

im lost ,maybe virus or spyware related ,who knows !!

no virusses, no spyware. I also use bugdoctor so i guess it is not a bug either... :sad:

I have had same kind of problems with my monitor, did also everything possible. My conclusion: it is just old and tired.

-ilzu

Okay!

You've tried other monitors. They go green too.
You've tried other video cards. They go green as well.

But hmmmmmm.......

Did you format and reinstall when you replaced that video card? If so, and the new card still goes green no matter what monitor you use, then there's only two things left.

1. Are you SURE that monitor cable is fine? Have you tried another?
2. Are you sure the monitor isn't picking up electrical interference from somewhere? Speaker close by? Externel switch/fuse box on the other side of the wall? etc..

Eliminate all of those, and I'd suggest you throw the PC away and replace it ;)

I agree with Catweazle. It might be some inteference somewhere because if you replace video card, monitor and more... and still doesnt work, it's kinda weird. There has to be something wrong and solvable. Or maybe all of your hardware is faulty the same way, but it would be too coincidental. :D

So you might want to try and setup your PC at a different spot or remove extra electrical devices near your PC...

If your computer is set up near a powerful magnet that may be the problem :lol:

It would have to be a pretty big/powerful magnet though. Maybe raven has monstrous speakers besides the monitor.... :)

Possible causes:

1. Netscape search adds a green background to anything it finds. Addressing the web page directly removes the green. I just discovered this yesterday.

2. The video card has a bad bit in its green D/A converter.

3. The green pin on the monitor cable may be corroded or dirty.

4. On a CRT, the Green Screen or Green Drive internal adjustment pot may be dirty. Dirt in the Green screen pot usually makes the white parts of the image turn green. Dirt in the Green Drive pot usually makes the black parts of the image turn green.

5. On a CRT, the green gun in the picture tube may be developing a filament to cathode, cathode to grid, or grid to grid short. This makes the black parts turn green. Often a TV technician can extend the life of the tube with special techniques.

6. There could be a dirty or corroded pin on the picture tube socket.

7. On an LCD screen, the circuitry which receives the green signal may be damaged.

8. On a CRT, a magnetic field would not make the screen uniformly green, but would blotch it with different colors in different areas. Magnets should not affect LCD screens.

9. On a CRT, the picture tube may be changing alignment with heat. Replacement of the picture tube (or the monitor) is the only cure.

WOW! lol

Interesting info but I would not recommend trying to figure out if the problem is one of possibities 4 to 9. Also, raven pc said the monitor wasnt the problem so it eliminates your 7 last suggestions.

It has been 2 month since he last responded so my guess is he already found the problem or hes not interested in finding a solution anymore. ;)

sure i am still interseted in solutions! Thank you for all the great info. I will let my dad check the things you listed there! thanx,
Raven
p.s. i am a she lol

hi, raven, ur probably well sorted by now, but is v likely the connection to the back of the crt tube. we are talking crt, right? can u cause the problem by gently squeezing the monitor casing, or tapping it? each colour has its own gun; the signals are delivered by a plug that probably looks like a small electronics card. further, in some monitors the plug is held to the back of the tube by a spring or whatever pressing onto the monitor casing.IF {and only if }, U ARE FAMILIAR with electronics and high voltage procedures, open the monitor case after it has been powered down and unplugged for 10 MINUTES. PLEASE remove the power cable!! pull the plug off the tube, replace it. repeat a few times to clean the pins and sockets with the friction. And clean the gizzards while you are inside there; all the high voltage stuff will be covered with a black residue pulled in by static. u may need a petroleum based solvent on a rag to remove it easily. for the rest, vacuum the dust out. wd40 is great for cleaning dirty pot surfaces. just a weeny bit of it, tho. locate the card that the cable from that plug goes to; there will be a "green labelled potentiometer - apply wd40, turn pot a fraction one way and then back to its original setting. there probably is a similar pot on the card plug, do the same with it.
if this does not fix it, then it will likely be beyond you.

sure i am still interseted in solutions! Thank you for all the great info. I will let my dad check the things you listed there! thanx,
Raven
p.s. i am a she lol

Oh lol im sorry!! Is that you in your profile? Should have checked it before. heh heh ;)

BTW, if you have tried to change video card and monitor with no difference, there is a good chance the problem is in your system installation/software/virus. Have you tried to format your drive? It is my only guess left cuz I dont see what else could be defective.

IF {and only if }, U ARE FAMILIAR with electronics and high voltage procedures, open the monitor case after it has been powered down and unplugged....

Yeah.. IF... But I dont know if I would do it even if I was expert if the monitor wouldnt be too old.

She already tried to switch monitors so thats not the problem.

My screen was green , then I moved my speakers away from the monitor, and instantly the color returned to normal

I Am having the same problem and have tried all the previous suggestions. Anything New?

I Am having the same problem and have tried all the previous suggestions. Anything New?

for best help ,start a new thread and explain you problem in detail ,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.