Hi, I connect external monitor to laptop and set it to Extend my Desk Top mode.
To bad, my laptop LCD screen is Dead. Only the External monitor show the extended desk top.
How can I reset this external monitor to Mirror so it shows the main desk top.
Now at extended desk top, Right click does not bring me to the Monitor setting.

Thanks a million of prompt advise.
I am using my friend's computer now.

Benny

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

You haven't even said what laptop it is or what windows version you have.

You haven't even said what laptop it is or what windows version you have.

My laptop is a HP Pavilion ZV5200 with Window XP home edition, Service Pack 2

Thanks for resolution in advance. Have a good week end
Benny

Is there not a shortcut key on the keyboard to switch between internal and external display?

Is there not a shortcut key on the keyboard to switch between internal and external display?

Yes, push Fn + F5 key to switch between Laptop screen and external Screen.

I try to switch it, but nothing change. The same extended desk top view because I set the external screen extend screen for few months already. Each time I connect external screen, it will act as extended screen.

Unfortunately, my laptop screen is DEAD due to no reason.
So I cannot change the 2nd screen setting.

Is there anyway to RESET the 2nd screen setting at window start up so as the 2nd screen will act as MIRROR ( Same as the Laptop screen )

Thanks

Can you right click on the backdrop and select properties and set the external to primary display?

Can you right click on the backdrop and select properties and set the external to primary display?

No, right click does not bring up the properties for me to set it as priminary display. That is why I wounder if anyway to RESET the 2nd screen in window to factory default. So I can toggle between Laptop screen and external screen.

Hi, Rik

How about I disconnect the 2nd monitor.
Since the lap top LCD is dead. I cannnot use MOUSE to bring up desk top property to set external monitor.

I do not have another Lap top with Window XP.
Can you help me to list the " Keyboard comand sequence such that I can reset the external monitor to work as mirror ?

Thanks

I don't know of any keyboard only method of fixing your problem.

Safe mode may help possibly, press F8 before windows begins to load and select safe mode. It should default to mirroring your display.

You should hopefully be able to remove the display driver and force it to reinstall upon a reboot into normal mode.

Hi, Rik
Thanks for advise.
I am lucky enough to see a very DIM screen on my Dead LCD screen under certain lighting condition. Not under complete dard room.

So I can manage to reset the external monintor to work as Mirror.
This save my cost to buy a new laptop in this tough economy.

Thanks anyway for the helps.

Have a good day

Benny

I'm glad you got it sorted. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.