0

I have a Compaq Presario v2000, sn CNF55116NW , Model EP378UA#ABA. My AC adapter connector end, the end that connects to the PC, melted the yellow insert in the connector. I noticed that I can run the laptop with the battery out and the AC plugged in and there is very little heat. However if I put the battery back in and it begins to charge after about 15 or 20% of charging the end gets hot and after about 40 or 50% the end is extremely hot. I know that when the PC is in use and if the battery is charging and the PC is being used the AC adapter will heat up but to have the connector end to melt the yellow insert appears to be way too hot. When the battery reached full charge the connector cooled off but when I pulled the connector end out of the PC it was stuck, hence the melted insert. The battery ran the PC OK and the charge dissipated about 15% in about 20 to 25 minutes. Could my battery be bad or is it the motherboard?
Thanks Stan

2
Contributors
5
Replies
6
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by caperjack
0

I have a Compaq Presario v2000, sn CNF55116NW , Model EP378UA#ABA. My AC adapter connector end, the end that connects to the PC, melted the yellow insert in the connector. I noticed that I can run the laptop with the battery out and the AC plugged in and there is very little heat. However if I put the battery back in and it begins to charge after about 15 or 20% of charging the end gets hot and after about 40 or 50% the end is extremely hot. I know that when the PC is in use and if the battery is charging and the PC is being used the AC adapter will heat up but to have the connector end to melt the yellow insert appears to be way too hot. When the battery reached full charge the connector cooled off but when I pulled the connector end out of the PC it was stuck, hence the melted insert. The battery ran the PC OK and the charge dissipated about 15% in about 20 to 25 minutes. Could my battery be bad or is it the motherboard?
Thanks Stan

hi, i also have a Compaq Presario v2000 and earlier this year it did the same thing ,actually it was my daughter who used the laptop at university ,and she used to jam the back of the laptop where the plug is against the back of her desk and she broke the power jack away from the motherboard ,so what i had to do way buy a power jack off E-Bay and have it soldered to the mother board .cost me about 10.00$ cdn for the jack and i took the laptop apart myself and had a friend solder it for me .computer repair shops will charge you dearly for this .if you continue to use it this way though you could eventually kill the motherboard /laptop

Edited by caperjack: n/a

0

hi, i also have a Compaq Presario v2000 and earlier this year it did the same thing ,actually it was my daughter who used the laptop at university ,and she used to jam the back of the laptop where the plug is against the back of her desk and she broke the power jack away from the motherboard ,so what i had to do way buy a power jack off E-Bay and have it soldered to the mother board .cost me about 10.00$ cdn for the jack and i took the laptop apart myself and had a friend solder it for me .computer repair shops will charge you dearly for this .if you continue to use it this way though you could eventually kill the motherboard /laptop

Thanks caperjack
I found that this is my case also and I will have to solder the jack back to the motherboard.
Stan

0

Thanks caperjack
I found that this is my case also and I will have to solder the jack back to the motherboard.
Stan

yes ,but check the center pin of the jack ,mine was burnt off ,so i replaced the jack, but when the guy soldered it for me noticed this it was after new one was installed ,he said he could have just re-soldered the pin

0

yes ,but check the center pin of the jack ,mine was burnt off ,so i replaced the jack, but when the guy soldered it for me noticed this it was after new one was installed ,he said he could have just re-soldered the pin

Thanks I will look at the pin and see if it is damage again thanks for the info.
Stan

0

Thanks I will look at the pin and see if it is damage again thanks for the info.
Stan

your welcome ,good luck

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.