I have messed with computers for years. I can tell I have nothing on any of you. But, as many times as I've seen this problem since i've been here, I must point something out, and it seems if anyone can explain this , it would solve alot of peoples problems. Maybe there is a connection.

What I'm trying to so is save people from "try this" ,, "try this" . It seems impossible, but I give you my word , MANY TIMES. There is a reason, maybe not a solution, but if it could save buying all these possible parts, and then , "It works" ,,,,, and then "This post is marked as SOLVED but ;;;"
Who's gonna be the Brainiack who solves this mystery???? (how do you spell Brainiak)?

In MANY of the cases where i was making a "Frankenstein" , the computer started off with the fan starting, and the hard drive running, and nothing else, I couldn't get the keyboard to do anything; The computer would be soooo busy doing nothing, that well , yeah..
So I'd put it aside for a couple days and work on another one,
So why is it that ALL of them would end up working FINE after they sat for a while?

NOTE: I DID NOTHING TO THEM IN THAT TIME, SOME TIMES I WOULDN'T EVEN UNPLUG THEM, BUT THEY WOULD WORK... I could turn around and install an operating system or just fix the one it has.
How is this?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What you did was reboot, which is often all it takes to eliminate a rogue process or program that's fouling up the works.
It's also well known that Windows PCs work better on even-numbered days. :)

What you did was reboot, which is often all it takes to eliminate a rogue process or program that's fouling up the works.
It's also well known that Windows PCs work better on even-numbered days. :)

Nope, Can't be it. When I say "many times", I mean HELLA ; All Different methods, which include pulling the battery for a minute, or day. Sometime using newly formated drives. Everything I can think of to do to get 1 to work, reboot, change mem, different hard drives, changing ribbons, cords, batterys, you name it, over and over until I give up. That's alot of rebooting. After I've given up and went to a different computer, and a couple of days, I'll try again. It'll work. Not just one computer, and not every time, but eventually, out of nowhere, nothing special done, Hit and miss. Probably 20 times between 60 computers and 4 years. I can boot, nothing, boot again, nothing. walk away without unplugging it or any thing, and come back a couple days later, boot, it's up. Figure that out. Anyone please.
And by the way, I thought it was the odd days?

Maybe an hallucination?
Prayer?
Maybe you're right about the odd days.

So, reigningscorpio is recommending that we advise in such cases:

On an even date, leave the PC for three days then try turning it on again. On an odd date, do likewise but for two days. Should work then.

LOL.

I had case or two like that..

Turned out to be bad contacts between VGA and motherboard.

Off course, I didn't leave it for couple of days like you did, but poked around, twisted and reseated stuff until I got to the cause.

.. but that was some 10-15 years ago on my old 486 and Trident 9440 VLB VGA (pre-PCI slot)

.. and it's "brainiac".

I also had the opposite:

- Works fine
- I turn it off, unplugg it and store it somewhere
- week or two later I plugg it in and - nothing.. mobo dead. (dead floppy controller)

Perhaps it is caused by overheating of the C.P.U.
(Cause Probably Unknown)

I couldn't have been overheated if it wasn't running... (this goes for scorpio's and mine case)

For his case, there is one thing that's called (roughly translated to English) "cold soldering":
- some of the soldering actually works only until it's heat reaches certain temperature. It is usually cracked. With the heat causing material expansion, yadayadayada, it looses contact.
Can be the opposite too (working only if heated).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.