Hi Folks

I have an iBook 500mg G3 iBook and it runs perfectly except for one thing: I cannot insert a blank CD in the tray. When I close the tray it spins for a second or two and then the door pops open. I have tried most everything I know but it still persists.

Any other CD or DVD works fine as long as it's not blank. Any help will be greatly appreiated.

John

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

OK .. I'd been struggling with this problem for a number of weeks - on a friends iBook ( I'm not sure of the Factory Config - but it is a G4 model from the A1005 Family).

Anyway - I've scoured the files on the Apple Support system with NO luck at all - and a number of other forums and support sites... that is until I came across a mention of resetting the PMU (Power Management Unit) by Yellow , here on DaniWeb Forums.

Thanks for the 'tip' Yellow. It may have been a 'long-shot' - but it WAS what worked! And after reading about the PMU - it was a very likely source for the 'current problem'.

Here's the URL Yellow gave: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449.

Read it. At the bottom you will find a list of PowerBook, iBook models .. is you don't know or can't find yours .. start clicking the links and look at the photos or read the descriptions. That's what I had to do - but it worked.

I read all the info and then sought out the appropriate method for a PMU reset and did it. VOILA! It worked.

Now ... I would suggest that this would be a good time to run a Disk Utility (like Disk Warrior) to check out the Disk and System.

But .. the CD Tray remains closed now. So - I hope this gets you all back in business.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.