i'm going to overclock my Intel Core Duo 3.0, apparently you can get it to 3.6 without breaking a sweat. i already have five fans running and its well ventilated but i need some settings for the BIOS, the motherboard is a ASUS P5Q-E, i'm running windows XP Pro, SP3, 3MB RAM, evidently any more is useless so i now have all the slots and all the cards for 8MB RAM but i can't use it. But i would like some parameters for the bios cpu settings. any suggestions would be awesome, thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Overclocking can be very harmful to your system if done incorrectly.
Can you afford to replace the computer if it goes wrong? If not, don't try it.

Overclocking can be very harmful to your system if done incorrectly.
Can you afford to replace the computer if it goes wrong? If not, don't try it.

I agree. People overclocking there systems usually want to get the most out it for gaming purposes; is this the case for you?

If it is it maybe worthwhile in investing in a better graphics card or maybe faster memory. Why not post your system specs and see if there is a safer way of improving performance.

if you decide to ignore us, increase the clock speed of the CPU gradually and not in large jumps.

BTW i assume you mean GB not MB when refering to your RAM.

commented: thanks +1

agree with above post .!
also where ever you found this out [apparently you can get it to 3.6 without breaking a sweat] should be able to help you overclock yours .one would think.
also check out www.overclockers.com

commented: A good site for that sort of thing +36

yeah, before i decided to overclock it i had read in several locations that this particular CPU could get overclocked to 3.6 without really having to do anything special, that was going to be my humble goal, seeing as it would be my first time, i thought i would risk little. after a few tries and a forgiving asus motherboard, which simply didn't work and told you it was going to default because you did it wrong, i got it overclocked. i noticed the different, unforunately it jacked up some programs and i reversed it. but i do appreciate everyone's input and their wise advise, i've avoided doing such a thing for years, this just happened to seem finally safe. positive rep points for all. have a good weekend. case closed

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.