I now got a new machine, my M/B thinks my cpu start at about 160 degrees farenheit, and shoots up to 320 degrees fareinheit, yet my programs say my CPU's temperature is in the negatives! I have 2 intake fans, 4 out-take (2 in back of case, 2 on side of case, and 2 fans on my power supply. All my temperature sensing programs are stating my PC is around -170! Intel is eV!L

Board - D915PBL (It's an intel board)
CPU - P4 3.0 GHz (530 J)
Video Card - MSI NX6600 GT (Nice card, got a 3562 on 3DMark05! without overclocking!)
Ram - 1GB of 533 MHz ram
PSU - 430 watt antec power supply

Please help!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I would be more inclined to believe the mb reading over the software in negative degrees.

Who assembled the unit?

I would pull the heat sink and check the thermal grease...

I suspect you verified the cpu fan is running.

when you are checking the cpu fan to see if its working and remove to make sure it has thermal grease on it ,also make sure they removed the protective plastic off the bottom of the heatsinc

It obviously has thermal paste on it, and what plastic are you talking about? The one that covers the CPU? If I didn't remove that I wouldn't have a machine right now! And my fan is way too quiet, 2250-2300 RPM, it never spins faster then that.

It obviously has thermal paste on it,

It isnt obvious to us until we ask and you or someone else has actually checked it...

and what plastic are you talking about? The one that covers the CPU? If I didn't remove that I wouldn't have a machine right now!

He was refering to the self adhesive protective plastic on the bottom of the heat sink, sometimes clear and hard to see...

And my fan is way too quiet, 2250-2300 RPM, it never spins faster then that.

It does not matter how fast a fan is spinning, either it is getting the job done or it isnt...

The software tools you mention, are they supplied by your motherboard manufacturer on a CD, or were they downloaded from a web site where the possibility of the wrong file being supplied by them or downloaded by you exists...

I would also suggest not using a new pc that might be running that hot...

It obviously has thermal paste on it, and what plastic are you talking about? The one that covers the CPU? If I didn't remove that I wouldn't have a machine right now! And my fan is way too quiet, 2250-2300 RPM, it never spins faster then that.

Right on ,go forth and prosper !
Your the one here looking for help ,just offering some things to check that some people miss ,The computer will run with the protective plastic tape left on the heatsinc ,just run hot!!I've seen lots of new computers built with out thermal paste!!
I certinaly didn't mean the hard plastic packaging that the item was shipped in !

Intel Active Monitor comes with the processor and board you specified ... are the stats n figures from that software ?? If not use it and then tell the stats again. It should be found on Intel's site.

Recently I bought an intel board D915GAV with 3 GHz processor ... and it keeps itself on 55 degrees celcius normally.

Yes, I used the Intel software, I just cleaned my CPU and Heatsink and applyed Artic Silver 5, went to my bios and it went up to 224 degrees fareinheit and my system shut down, turned it on and it beeps a low pitched note then a high. GOD THIS IS GAY!

Ok, It now runs at 109 fareinheit (idle!) What I did was pushed the heatsink in a little, and turned it on the bios read out 125, the Intel software reads out 108 - 109 at idle, it was all because of thermal paste, and god does Artic Silver 5 own! Thanks for your help everyone!

You would almost think we knew what we were talking about..eh?

Glad it is now working for you...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.