I'm really hoping for a solution before I kick this machine out the window :rolleyes:

This is a Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop, BIOS v.A06 (yea I see there's an update available but it's been fine till today), 512mb ram, 20gb HD, Win XP Home SP2 (with all updates).

I started the machine this morning just fine. Installed AIM Triton. System was incredibly slow so took a look at Task Mgr and see system is pegged out at 100% CPU. Not too unusual a site at this time of day as Windows Defender is kicking in and sucking up resources. Aim install finishes and I close browser windows that it had opened to see that Windows Defender has stopped with an error stating it was "unable to update, check Windows Update". So I go to run Windows Update thru IE (Firefox is my default browser) WU begins scan but I notice the little box to the right saying that my 'Automatic Updates' is 'off'. This is VERY unusual as I make it a point to turn that on and leave it on ALWAYS. But I click the little button to turn it on and set a time to check for updates. WU is still scanning. Finally WU comes back and asks to run the Genuine Windows Verification tool, again this is odd as I've run the Verification previously, but I say ok and it begins to check. It comes back to tell me that it doesn't think my installation is valid and how I can obtain a 'valid' copy of software. Well I know this is garbage because all of my software is legal so I close my browser and choose to restart my machine. Well now it won't load! It runs POST, I see the Windows XP Logo with the progress bar....then it goes to a black screen.

I've run Dell diagnostics...no memory or hardware failures. I've run the 'Thorough' POST, no errors. I've attempted to start in Safe mode, stops at MUP.SYS. I've attempted to load from last good configuration, black screen. I've attempted to boot from Windows CD and do a repair, system reboots after I select the windows install I want repaired (C:\Windows). I've unplugged the mouse, the wireless card, the power cord, same thing....POST, then Win Logo, then black screen.

When the screen goes to black, the hard drive still flashes a few times for a few minutes apparently trying to access something but eventually everything is still.

I'd appreciate any help offered. This is my machine for work so I really need to get this sick puppy back on its feet.

TIA
Sherrie

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Well I don't know if this is better or worse. I finally got to do a Repair from my CD but now the problem has changed.

I can boot into Windows now BUT ALL of my programs and files are no longer visible in the Start Menu or on my desktop. Now here's the twist...I can still see all of my programs on the harddrive and in the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. It seems as though the 'repair' just added a new install over everything and dropped the old registry maybe?

There are also other odd behaviors such as missing 'Change/Remove' options for most things listed in Add/Remove Programs, Windows Defender is still complaining that it has been stopped (when I start the machine) and another error message about a .dll that goes by too fast for me to see it when I shut down/restart.

So now the question becomes....is there any hope on getting this system back to its original settings/registry? Do I rerun Windows repair? I was running spybot search & destroy before all this and it seems to have made several copies of various registry entries if that's of any help.

thanks
Sherrie

Reinstall - if its a new dell do ctrl+f11 at bootup

As long as you can access your files, back up any data you need before trying anything else. You should be able to track down what you need and burn it to a cd. Then if all else fails, reinstall the O/S and restore your data.

Thanks for the suggestion Squidly....that's exactly what I've done. Complete reformat, reinstall & slowly reloading all my apps and data.

Am I having fun yet? lol

hi - i just had a very similar problem up to a point: an hp laptop that was acting very odd, with that windows edition not valid thing coming up....ran extensive diagnostics and it was a bad memory card...have you tried running hw diag prior to the reinstall?

good luck

dave

I'm really hoping for a solution before I kick this machine out the window :rolleyes:

This is a Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop, BIOS v.A06 (yea I see there's an update available but it's been fine till today), 512mb ram, 20gb HD, Win XP Home SP2 (with all updates).

I started the machine this morning just fine. Installed AIM Triton. System was incredibly slow so took a look at Task Mgr and see system is pegged out at 100% CPU. Not too unusual a site at this time of day as Windows Defender is kicking in and sucking up resources. Aim install finishes and I close browser windows that it had opened to see that Windows Defender has stopped with an error stating it was "unable to update, check Windows Update". So I go to run Windows Update thru IE (Firefox is my default browser) WU begins scan but I notice the little box to the right saying that my 'Automatic Updates' is 'off'. This is VERY unusual as I make it a point to turn that on and leave it on ALWAYS. But I click the little button to turn it on and set a time to check for updates. WU is still scanning. Finally WU comes back and asks to run the Genuine Windows Verification tool, again this is odd as I've run the Verification previously, but I say ok and it begins to check. It comes back to tell me that it doesn't think my installation is valid and how I can obtain a 'valid' copy of software. Well I know this is garbage because all of my software is legal so I close my browser and choose to restart my machine. Well now it won't load! It runs POST, I see the Windows XP Logo with the progress bar....then it goes to a black screen.

I've run Dell diagnostics...no memory or hardware failures. I've run the 'Thorough' POST, no errors. I've attempted to start in Safe mode, stops at MUP.SYS. I've attempted to load from last good configuration, black screen. I've attempted to boot from Windows CD and do a repair, system reboots after I select the windows install I want repaired (C:\Windows). I've unplugged the mouse, the wireless card, the power cord, same thing....POST, then Win Logo, then black screen.

When the screen goes to black, the hard drive still flashes a few times for a few minutes apparently trying to access something but eventually everything is still.

I'd appreciate any help offered. This is my machine for work so I really need to get this sick puppy back on its feet.

TIA
Sherrie

Hi there,

I have dealt with your computer problem many times! Basically, I fix computers which don't work. To fix your problem You'll need to completely reformat the computer from your window CD and use the other resource CD to install drivers!!

It typically takes a few hours!!

If you would like, I could fix your laptop for you so it will be up and running in no time.

If you need more info,

just message me on my email address and I shall get back to you instantly!!!

Regards,

ShahBoii

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.