on a clone drive does fixmbr work or would it be rendered useless as it warns???? Have a rebooting prob since anti-virus install and it had a virus. tried bootcfg and fixboot and chkdsk /p and /r and it finds an error but does not fix. give an error on bootcfg that found error in file but says run chkdsk but still error and no boot. no safe, no dos prompt on load except for reboot. Can get into recovery console but not sure if doing a fix from setup would require reactivation... friends computer waiting for disk from him..using my xp upgrade disk...looks like he upgraded from 2000..tks

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

on a clone drive does fixmbr work or would it be rendered useless as it warns???? Have a rebooting prob since anti-virus install and it had a virus. tried bootcfg and fixboot and chkdsk /p and /r and it finds an error but does not fix. give an error on bootcfg that found error in file but says run chkdsk but still error and no boot. no safe, no dos prompt on load except for reboot. Can get into recovery console but not sure if doing a fix from setup would require reactivation... friends computer waiting for disk from him..using my xp upgrade disk...looks like he upgraded from 2000..tks

1. Once you have cloned, the copy is as it was on the last drive, whatever you could do there you can do here.
2. Repair/install will ask you to register but as it is already registered, just click "later". (Assuming that you have registered and activated that copy before the repair/install.)
3. Your friends disc must be for the same Windows as yours. XP Home and XP Home, XP Pro and XP Pro...You must use your serial number when using his disc.

1. Once you have cloned, the copy is as it was on the last drive, whatever you could do there you can do here.
2. Repair/install will ask you to register but as it is already registered, just click "later". (Assuming that you have registered and activated that copy before the repair/install.)
3. Your friends disc must be for the same Windows as yours. XP Home and XP Home, XP Pro and XP Pro...You must use your serial number when using his disc.

...alas I couldnt wait so i did a repair install but still had the virus...so started norton anti and took a shower came back to see how far it got but computer was rebooting again and cant get to safe mode or anything except the restore console....still get errors on bootcfg and scandisk....umf must be a nasty one!!!! any other suggests

If you have a little virus or a monster, when you do a repair/install the virus will most probably still be there. You have only copied files from your OS CD to the files that were part of your OS. It has not deleted any files that were there (except any SP and updates since your OS CD was produced). (Actually they were deleted and reinstalled, but they are as they were without any errors that were there before.)
A virus must be removed before you even think about a repair/install.
Now I would suggest that the only option is for you to reinstall windows with a clean install. That will involve formatting your hard drive and the loss of all information on it. Therefore you will need to back up everything you need or want before you start.
This would be a great time to look at slipstreaming your OS CD (you can use your friends) to make a new CD with SP3, the latest hot fixes, your serial number, your PC drivers +++
If you can connect to your friends PC or put your hard drive in his (ensure that his virus detector is up to date) you can check your PC for viruses and clean it. You could also save all your info you wanted to keep, format your drive, load windows and copy your info back.
Note:- If you use your friends OS CD to do anything (make a new OS CD for your self, slipstream a new CD for yourself) on your PC or for your PC you must use your serial number, the one you have registered with Microsoft.

Uninstall the virus software and see how it goes. Since the problem occured after you installed the anti-virus software, it is probably causing the problem.

chkdsk /p & /r can only be used from the management console via the boot CD.

Start Run >
CHKDSK /F

A Dos Pop up will appear. Type Y enter key. Do a restart and at start up a blue screen appears saying it will check registered processes. Just let it run through its process. I can take about 5 minutes.

Chkdsk /F D:

This will check D: drive immediately. The restart is only required when you chkdsk C: drive. D can be any other fixed drive or partition.

on a clone drive does fixmbr work or would it be rendered useless as it warns????

that warning is standard on any install of windows when attempting a fixmbr

tks for all the suggestions as he had the lsass.exe virus...nasty little bugger!!! would not allow ctl=alt-del in reg mode to kill process.....installed an anti-malware program and after 3 repair installs got it to go into safe mode....and think its 99% gone...having problem with explorer not working but saw a possible fix for that so i have my fingers crossed.. just loading software via usb zip drive it tried to install on it...lucky my computer caught it!!!!(he was hoping not to lose data and some software)..so tried not to do a total reinstall....tks

Glad to hear thing are looking up even if not yet perfect. After you get it running, do a house call virus scan and download malwarebytes and check for any spyware just to make sure. There is a lot of good reading here in "Viruses, spyware and other nasties" in the stick note about how to remove virus's...It would not hurt anyone who has not read it to have a good look. If you are happy enough, you can mark this thread as solved. Good luck

Glad to hear thing are looking up even if not yet perfect. After you get it running, do a house call virus scan and download malwarebytes and check for any spyware just to make sure. There is a lot of good reading here in "Viruses, spyware and other nasties" in the stick note about how to remove virus's...It would not hurt anyone who has not read it to have a good look. If you are happy enough, you can mark this thread as solved. Good luck

God bless you Jupiter 2

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.