My computer shuts down on a whim. The only way I can get it to do anything afterwards is to hard shut it down. I have Reg Cure and Norton Correct on it, cannot find the problem. I also have Norton Virus - but no viruses are showing up. I am not a techie, a 71 year old great grandma and I find this awful that in the middle of communicating with one of the kids, it shuts down. I need some help - or I take it in for repairs - I can do some "techie" work myself - as long as it is explainable to me. Thanks - great grandma
PS - it is an Emachine - approx 3 years old - lost of memory not being used.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi,
First try Defragmenting the Hard Drive.
Open my computer.
Right click C: drive
Properties
Tools
Defragment.

If it is actually shutting down or powering off then check to see if there is a heat problem. Could be a dead CPU fan, or the fan on the power supply is out. Systems rarely just shut off with out good reason. When it is running check the fan on the power supply. Feel the case and see if it is hot anywhere. Open it up and turn it on and see if the fan on the CPU is spinning.

My computer shuts down on a whim. The only way I can get it to do anything afterwards is to hard shut it down. lost of memory not being used.

Please explain how it shuts down if you still have to do a hard shut down. What activity is there when it stops working, fans, lights, noise?
I assume lost is lots, how much is lots and how do you know?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.