I tried adding a new hard drive to my desktop pc, and now when I try to boot it says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I tried unplugging it and just rebooting, and it worked fine. I also tried to go into bios priority and set it to the old hard drive, then plugged in the new one again, and the same "reboot" message came up.

When I go into bios after adding the new hard drive, I dont see it detecting either of the hard drives, but when I remove the new one, it detects the old one just fine.

What can I do to fix this so that I can add the new hard drive? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for nileshgr

Is the old drive IDE and the new one SATA / PATA ?

Member Avatar for Kimura-Sensei

You need to make sure that there is an operating sytem on the new hard drive. Or if you have another hard drive with an OS on it, boot up into that one before the new one.

Member Avatar for nileshgr

You need to make sure that there is an operating sytem on the new hard drive. Or if you have another hard drive with an OS on it, boot up into that one before the new one.

No that's not the issue here. He has OS in one of the drives but the other is to be used for data. I faced a similar problem when I put IDE and SATA together without changing the Mode. The default Mode is Auto which needs to be changed to Enhanced.

My config is something like this -

1 IDE HDD + 1 IDE CD
1 SATA HDD

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.