Hi--I have an older Gateway M675 laptop. All of a sudden, I boot it up and all is going well for about 1 min and then this incredible grinding noise starts. I am guessing that it is in the ventilation area. I have opened the back of my laptop, blew canned air, but it still sounds terrible. I have stopped using it bec/ I am afraid I might blow all my info up! The bottom of the laptop also gets very hot.

Do I need a new ventilation fan? Where do I get one? It looks like it would be easy to install if that is the problem.

Thanks for any information or help.
Linda

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

is it a grinding like sticking a pencil in a fan? or is it more of a Hum sound?

does it always wait about a minute before making the noise?

The waiting a minute thing kinda throws me off because if it was a fan it would start as soon as you turned the computer on. you may want to take it to a technician and have him open it up for you.

im thinking hard drive or fan

I think it's the hard drive. if it where a fan it would start as soon as it was turned on and not after it warmed up which leads me to believe hard drive. In this case this is very bad and normally means that your HDD is about to die i would back up your data now...

Hi--I have an older Gateway M675 laptop. All of a sudden, I boot it up and all is going well for about 1 min and then this incredible grinding noise starts. I am guessing that it is in the ventilation area. I have opened the back of my laptop, blew canned air, but it still sounds terrible. I have stopped using it bec/ I am afraid I might blow all my info up! The bottom of the laptop also gets very hot.

Do I need a new ventilation fan? Where do I get one? It looks like it would be easy to install if that is the problem.

Thanks for any information or help.
Linda

Linda,
yes you need at least 1 new fan. i have nursed my fans and heatsink assembly for years and finally had to replace both. when the m675 laptop is turned on, the fans do not come on until the CPU temperature elevates. and when a good job is done using quality thermal paste for the heatsink, you wont hear the fans for as long as 20 minutes on a new system (perfect world) the m675 grows to be a hot, noisy, but reliable, 9 pound 17 inch beast. its worth the $50 to $75 to replace the dual fans/heatsink assembly if that is your only problem ;;cheers;;

I have One of these laptops. I am getting a fan error and the main fan does not run.
I have replaced the fan but it's the same.Also the screen has vertical lines some are black and white.I am wondering if anyone has experienced this and what solutions can anyone make.Thanks.
Riffxyz

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.