Hi,

My Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop is not booting up: when you turn it on, the lights come on but the hard drive and cd drive dont engage and nothing loads, after about 15 seconds it turns off.

It seems to happen every now and then ,and previously Ive just left it and somehow it fixes itself, but today it just wont work.

I've tried reseating the memory and the hard drive, also tried removing the battery and draining the system of electricity for about 30mins, none of which have worked.

Also I noticed when I was last using it, that the fan wasn't turning. Should the fan be turning all the time the laptop is on, or does it only come on when needed?

Thanks in advance.

Hi crazy_ivan,
re:

I noticed when I was last using it, that the fan wasn't turning. Should the fan be turning all the time the laptop is on, or does it only come on when needed?

Usually, the powersupply fan should run constantly. If that's the fan you'r refering to .. then your powersupply is probably dying/dead.. sorry :(
but the good news is that is fairly cheap to replace. :-|
If you'r refering to the CPU fan.. then.. thats worse news..
the CPU is probably dead.. sorry :( .
If you need more help.. check out the troubleshooting section at my website to guide you thru it step by step.
Hope this helps, :)
RGPHNX

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.