Help somebody please. My Emachine T2640 took a hit the other night in a storm, my son failed to disconnect the phone line when he unplugged it. The problem is that I have taken everything and tried to reboot by reseating everything one component at a time. I can not get the computer to even post. I have done some research and have figured out that my motherboard is an AM37, it's an AMD Athlon XP 2400+. I did test the harddrive by slaving it into another PC, I ended up having to reformat it to get it going, but I know it works. The fans are working, and everything is getting power in the tower, I do not have video. I am by no means a computer expert, but I am pretty sure that it is my motherboard. My question is can someone please tell me another thing to try before I purchase a new one, or since I'm going to have to get a new one anyway, can someone tell me what type to buy to upgrade. Might as well do that now.

Thanks
PatchesOK

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi PatchesOK,
lightning strike..eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww.. bad news :sad: :sad: :sad:
Hard to tell from your description whats "burnt" ..etc. could be just about anything.
You can troubleshoot your computer step by step with the flowcharts at my website...just start at the beginning chart..assume NOTHING.. & go step by step.
Post back with what you find out or for more help.
Hope this helps :)
RGPHNX

Hi RGPHNX:

I'll try it and see how it goes, Thanks so much. I'll keep you posted.

PatchesOK

Most definitely the motherboard. Can anyone tell me what a suitable upgrade would be? If I have to purchase a new one might as well upgrade.

Thanks
PatchesOK

eMachines is like HP in which they are both almost not able to upgrade much. If your lucky you can maybe find the same mobo at there website or can call them, this is your computer http://parts.emachines.com/emachines/sys_lookup.asp but an upgrade is almost out of the question, sorry. I had the same problem with my HP, now I have decided to build all my computers from now on.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.