the laptop i got from my friend is very slow. from the boot until i click the start button.

he is using windows 7, laptop model acer 4810TZ

i tried to detect any virus onboard. i have run MBAM. but sadly his laptop is clean. i suspect that there is a hardware problem. i ran the chkdsk from command prompt.

it shows like this

c:\Windows\system32>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NFTS.
Volume label is ACER

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files <stage 1 of 3>
0 percent complete. <0 of 144384 file records processed>
Attribute record <128,""> from file record segment 3343
is corrupt.
_7 percent complete. <112948 of 144384 records processed>

the chkdsk stopped at 7 percent.

1. is there any problem with the laptop?
2. if i format the hard disk with a clean install of windows, should it be okay?
3. the laptop is also overheating. is this also indicates the processor is working extreamly hard too?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Doesn't sound healthy does it?

Can you whip the hard drive out and connect it to another computer.
Then run chkdsk from that computer? That's how I found out my hard drive was snafu'd

i am trying to avoid that. coz i have no tools to open the hard disk.... if format the hard dish, does the problem will remain or not?

this is a new laptop. i try check its bios. it is using AHCI for the SATA mode well when i changed to IDE, and windows 7 cannot load.

take note the windows is 64-bit. is there any possibility that there are any software is used that is not compatible for this laptop?

If this is a bew laptop better claim for warranty. I don't want to get into that trouble if I were you.

well, the solution was to defrag the hard disk. silly me

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.