Help!

My hp dv6428 was running yesterday morning, but then it suddenly froze when I was not using it. I performed a hard reset, but the machine will not boot up. The power turns on, and I hear the disk spin for about 2 seconds, but then nothing else happens. Sometimes the computer will reset itself continually.

I have already done the following:
-performed hard reset, including removing battery and draining the capacitors
-removed and replaced RAM modules
-tried tapping F9, 10, and 11 (read different instructions online) while trying to boot up

Please help!

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I have the same problem with My Hp did you get a response?

Hi Robabon welcome to Daniweb,
If he got a response it would be where your post is...No he has not as yet.
You should start a new thread of your own and supply details about you machine, OS and problem, and someone may be able to assist you as well.

Hi moosee21,
Can you boot to safe mode?
What is your OS?
Have you installed, uninstalled, added or removed hardware or downloaded something recently?
Can you access the boot menu for safe mode start?

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your response. I can't get my machine to boot whatsoever...the LED panel will light up, but that is it. I have Windows Vista. I had downloaded some music three days prior with no issues, so I can't imagine that would be it.

Thanks for any input you can give!

Moosee21

Hi Robabon welcome to Daniweb,
If he got a response it would be where your post is...No he has not as yet.
You should start a new thread of your own and supply details about you machine, OS and problem, and someone may be able to assist you as well.

Hi moosee21,
Can you boot to safe mode?
What is your OS?
Have you installed, uninstalled, added or removed hardware or downloaded something recently?
Can you access the boot menu for safe mode start?

you seem to have tried all of the keys, except the right ones: try tapping f8. it will get you to the safe mode option (if your pc gets as far as windows). if not, then maybe your hard drive is on the way out.

If you can't get safe mode:
can you see your hard drive in the BIOS?

usually by pressing f1 f2 or del at start up.
then look around until you see a list like:

IDE Primary
IDE slave
IDE Primary
IDE Slave
SATA Primary...
etc etc

there you should see at least 2 devices - your cd /dvd and your hard drive.

get back to me on your results.

do you have another PC you can put it in to access it (to make sure it is working?) then we can walk you through how to do that, and a recovery.

your harddrive has stalled, i had this very same problem. replaced the harddrive, and everything worked great again.
let me be more specific, i replaced the 200gb hard drive with a 160 gb harddrive.
as for the previous harddrive, i checked and found out that sometimes the spindles stick together, this could be caused by overheating, dropping, spilling, excessive force on the laptop.
the cost to repair was too great, and the cost to recover the data equally the same.
i hope this gives you some understanding as to your problem.
i had windows vista previously, now have windows xp installed.
with vista, another problem could be your event logs getting too cluttered, for some reason vista sees this as a problem and won't boot, log in, or continues to restart.
getting into the bios has nothing to do with it, and wont show any problems detecting the harddrive.
the only solution as i have stated above, is to replace the harddrive.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.