Yo guys,
quick question... i know my system ram uses DDR DIMM modules......I was wondering if i buy a video card that uses DDR SDRAM memory itself (aka a GeForce 6600), will it work in my computer. Everything else the card requires i have, aka (AGP 8x slot, Extra memory, etc..)

Anything helps.
-thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

The type of RAM a video card uses has nothing to do with the type of RAM your motherboard takes. In this case, you only have to worry about the quality of your power supply and whether it can handle a 6600.

thanks alot,

I was hoping that would be the case. Ok so now, where would i go to find out what my computer can handle power wise, what the supply is currently, etc...

Also, different question, in regards to RAM. What does single channel/ duel channel mean in terms of modules. I have 2 banks of 1 for RAM. I currently have a 512MB module. Im looking to buy 1 more module of 1GB. Does it need to be duel channel? Could anyone give me some insight on this. Thanks.

I was hoping that would be the case. Ok so now, where would i go to find out what my computer can handle power wise, what the supply is currently, etc....

Your power supply should have a sticker on it with all the specifications. You should check the wattage first and also check if it doesnt have low amps per rail.

Also, different question, in regards to RAM. What does single channel/ duel channel mean in terms of modules.

Dual channel RAM setup means your system has two pipelines linked to your cpu to help bottleneck caused by the system bus. To enable Dual channel, you must have the same 2 sticks (memory size, speed, all specs) in the same color RAM banks. These colors differ on some motherboards. If you have blue and yellow, you could put the sticks in both blue. If you want to add 2 extra sticks, they have to be identical but not necessarily the same as the other two (match in pairs). If you fail to follow these instructions, your system will work but under Single channel mode.

I have 2 banks of 1 for RAM. I currently have a 512MB module. Im looking to buy 1 more module of 1GB. Does it need to be duel channel? Could anyone give me some insight on this. Thanks.

There is no Dual channel RAM. When they say it is dual channel it just means it has been tested in dual channel (they are normally sold in pairs). Your motherboard has to support daul channel for it to work though. If your mobo is compatible with it and you want a 1gb stick with your 512mb, it will work but with single channel.

However, if you have an Athlon XP or socket A Sempron system, then dual channel is rather useless to you (due to the slower front side bus). ;)

Definitely no advantage having dual channel enabled on an Athlon XP system. For Pentium 4 and Athlon64 systems, simply ensure that the RAM modules used are identical and dual channel should give no problems whatsoever.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.