My computer will not recognize the mouse or keyboard. I have plugged both into another computer and they work. I tried other keyboard and mouse in this computer, and they wont work. The light comes on in the mouse, but it wont move the cursor , but light will not come on for the keyboard. The only way I can turn the computer off is to press and hold the on/off button.
The computer is a HP Slimline, with XP Home Edition, SP2. The hard drive was recently replaced, but keyboard and mouse were working fine until a few days ago, when I tried to get windows updates which wouldnt install.

I would appreciate any help, I am not very computer savvy.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello,

Do you have USB Keyboard and Mouse or are they PS2?

Did you have an anti-virus and firewall software installed?

Does the keyboard light up at all during the boot up process e.g.. before windows loads up?

You say that you tried them in another computer, any chance of trying the Keyboard and mouse from the other machine on the HP one?

Also, did the update installation process never start or did it get interrupted?

- Let us know how it goes.

Hello,

Do you have USB Keyboard and Mouse or are they PS2?

Did you have an anti-virus and firewall software installed?

Does the keyboard light up at all during the boot up process e.g.. before windows loads up?

You say that you tried them in another computer, any chance of trying the Keyboard and mouse from the other machine on the HP one?

Also, did the update installation process never start or did it get interrupted?

- Let us know how it goes.

The keyboard and mouse are usb, and I tried them both on another computer and they worked. I also tried the other keyboard and mouse on the HP, they didnt work.
When I turn the HP on, the keyboard lights up briefly, then nothing, and the mouse lights up and stays lit for a while but wont move the cursor.
The anti virus and firewall is Nortons, preinstalled. I dont like it, so downloaded my usual antivirus but did not install. I was going to uninstall Nortons first.
From what I saw there were 6 updates from MS, but I believe only one actually installed before I got a message saying due to an error the updates were unable to be installed.

It was while I was trying to uninstall Nortons that my keyboard and mouse stopped working. I dont have any PS2 fittings to be able to attach the mouse and keyboard to the other slots , so only used the usb slots.

Thanks

Lisa

UPDATE

I found an old ps2 keyboard and mouse, plugged them into the other computer to make sure they worked ok and they do. So I plugged them into the HP, keyboard lights up and stays lit up but no response to any of the keys. The mouse will move the cursor, but when I try to select something, like > start> etc, nothing happens.

Hello Lisa,
I seem to have the same problem. Did you manage to solve it? Since I have no keyboard response I can't even enter windows safe mode. Any advice welcome.
Regards, Guenter

My apologies for not responding sooner, been busy with life.
I finally resolved the issue by doing the "F8" and managed to do a recovery. It appears that my decision to try and uninstall Nortons at the same time as downloading and installing Windows updates was the main cause of my problems. Now, my problem appears to be that I can not get the puter to connect to the internet or recognize my wireless, but I think that is to do with an HP update that I did, so will be reviewing that and acting accordingly.
Thanks

Lisa

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.