I have a 350 watt psu, and I was wondering if it would be able to support 3 case fans on an amd 3200 which has a coolermaster dream II fan on it, two hard drives, a floppy drive, a 52X32X52X cd burner, a 56k modem and a geforce fx 5900 128mb…

Thanks in advance,

Slade

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

yeah should support it. i had 350 for awhile and ran

3 case fans. p4 2.8 with another big fan. 1 160 gig hard drive. 2 cd rom drives (both cd-rw) and a sounblaster audigy panel for music crap...o and a little 3 1/2 inch floppy. ummmm and a fx 5600. yeah should run it just fine. i swaped up though just incase, cant afford to run into power problems. only thing though is that power supplies are sooo much. my 410w power suply cost me over 100 cash.

ugh, yeah I know what you mean. Well I think I may just swap it up in a month or two... only seems sensible. Thanks for the quick reply :)

Slade

Heck, I had an old Fortron 250w PSU, and I was running a Duron 700mhz chip, 3 case fans, 6 SCSI hard drives, a CD burner, and 2 IDE drives on it. It ran just fine-- nary a reboot or flicker, nor spark!

Of course, I was running SUPER ghetto style-- I had like 5 molex plug splitters on the thing!

Yes, but if it's a cheap, generic PSU you mifght still have stability problems. but then, you can have stability problems with generic PSUs regardless of their wattage.

I decided not to take the risk. I am going 450watts

Spend the extra and get a good brand! Avoid CodeGen or similar like the plague!

For a decent system, you want a Power Supply Unit which will deliver consistent and accurate voltages. That's far more important than the Wattage rating of the thing.

i use antec, and so far its a great supply, it even has a hub on the back for powering external items (same 4 pin style too as in the case for powering HDD/CD-ROM/etc...)

For a decent system, you want a Power Supply Unit which will deliver consistent and accurate voltages. That's far more important than the Wattage rating of the thing.

Who said I'm getting a codegen.

No-one did! I just put that in there for the benefit of others who might be reading it!

Whoa buddy-- I second that! I bought a Codegen case, complete with Codegen 350w PSU. I ended up cannibalizing the case, and all of the components got spread across about 5 different systems.

The PSU ended up in an Athlon 1.4ghz T-Bird system with 512MB of RAM, ASUS K7v-133c mobo, a CD-RW drive, and an 80GB hard drive (3 years ago, that was blindingly FAST!). All was well, but then my system started freezing up. I thought it was the memory, so I swapped that, and I reseated it, over and over again. That *seemed* to fix the problem, but it still kept freezing.

Not thinking it was the power supply, I sold the system to some guy for $50, as-is, thinking the motherboard or the processor was no good, and I didn't feel like fooling with it. (I had paid nearly $135 US for the processor alone! ) The guy got it, and sent me an email about 2 weeks later. He put a Sparkle 300w PSU in it, and it's still humming to this day, 2 years later!

I'm still kind of irked about that... I REALLY liked that system. I liked it so much, in fact, that if I had realized it was a bad power supply, I'd still be using that system as my main desktop to this day... :(

Hello,

I would add a UPS to the outside of the computer system, and have it clean the power, and keep it nice on the outside. Plus, make sure it is grounded too! No cheapo adapters into the wall socket.

Sometimes at night I hear mine kick in for a few moments here and there. I am in an older house, and I guess I have small brownouts for moments. I would rather have the UPS take the hit (which it is designed to do) than have my hardware take it, and potentially scramble all the data.

Christian

Christian

I know this may be dragging up the past for you all -- however, I am new.

My question would be:
can an "Antec" 500W PSU be safely installed into a case housing an ASUS P3 733MHz mobo/CPU -- or would it be TOO much power??

Just curious as my PSU is starting to fritz (all the tell-tale signs -- screen waves/flickers, blotchy boots, restarts and whatnot), and my friend gave me the PSU from his rig that no longer has a mobo after he overclocked his CPU by 20 full percent and fried it. I guess he thought the fan could handle that much -- apparently not.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.