hello there, Daniweb community. I'm new to the site and know next to nothing about computers. I have got a problem. I suspect it's common, but regardless, I can't seem to find anyone else with the problem. What's been happening is my laptop (Compaq Presario F767NR) seems to turn off when I "open" the laptop. By that I mean when I flip the screen portion up so that both the keyboard and the monitor are exposed. I can only open it so much (less than a 90 degree angle) before the screen goes black (blank) and if I open even more than that (not much farther) it completely turns off. No shutdown or anything, just an unexpected "off". I imagine the problem is a wire or cable or some kind of conductor of electricity that has gone loose, and that would be why I have to be so careful with it, but I can't say for sure. If anyone knows what it could be, please please please share with me your advice, for this laptop is important to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

this has happened to me too! I have to hold it really carefully when I open it and wait before letting go of the screen. When I go to move it or the screen wobbles slightly it just shuts down. I think the hinge on the screen is loose as I can see when I open it one way and then the other then the laptop opens up slightly, but when I have it in the position that I have to use it, it is closed. I decided to sellotape it together, which actually helped slightly... but the power button went completely stiff and I couldn't turn it on and off. I really don't know what to do!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.