I have a bios that is a "bad bios" it won't stay where I put it. It changes the boot drive. It changes the video back from pci to the on board graphics.
I gave it a new motherboard battery but it didn't care.
It's an old E 2100 that I have put in a 250gb hard drive, 1.5gb ram and a 256mb video card. The vista home premium. Up till yesterday it seemed happy enough.
I keep spare hard drive that I update the norton on and when I switch hard drives is when this happens. And when I switch back it happens with the regular drive. I have to go in and reset the bios for boot drive and video card.
Help!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello,

I suggest checking two things:
1. Check the CMOS jumper on the mother board and make sure it is not on the RESET or CLEAR CMOS setting. Normally jumpering pins 1 - 2 is for normal operation and 2 - 3 is to clear the CMOS which is where the BIOS settings are stored.
2. Change/Replace the CMOS battery. If it is dead the BIOS would reset to default when you poer the system off but will hold if you just do a reboot.

Hope that helps.

I changed the battery and I had to go in and reset the clock and boot order but got that bit right.

As far as cmos jumper pins I don't know where they are on an E 2100 845GVSR board

Hello,

1. Check the CMOS jumper on the mother board and make sure it is not on the RESET or CLEAR CMOS setting. Normally jumpering pins 1 - 2 is for normal operation and 2 - 3 is to clear the CMOS which is where the BIOS settings are stored.
2. Change/Replace the CMOS battery. If it is dead the BIOS would reset to default when you poer the system off but will hold if you just do a reboot.

Hope that helps.

Hi,
If the jumper was in the incorrect position it would never keep any data as yours has in the past. It sounds like you might have a short circuit in the battery circuit and it is draining the battery (even a new one) in a short time. If this is the case it is impossible to assist you from here, you will need a repair tech to look at it.
Note:- I am not saying that this is the problem, but the options are very few as to the nature of your problem. I have had a similar problem with a digital camera, the battery would go flat in 5 minutes. A 20 second solder job took an hour to find and cost $45.00.

Hi

Thanks

I've gon an old P2 here with a short in the motherboard. It won't work as long as there is a battery in the socket. The minute I take the battery out it works, most of the time. It got to the point where it sometime won't boot at all. So you have to keep turning it off and on til it runs

I changed the battery and I had to go in and reset the clock and boot order but got that bit right.

As far as cmos jumper pins I don't know where they are on an E 2100 845GVSR board

Hello,

Hope that helps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.