Hello all,

I just acquired a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop from a vacant unit in my blding. It has no charging cable but aside from that, everything appears to be 'there'.

It doesnt power up or do anything. Ive pulled out the battery and found it has a charge level indicator - which when I press that, doesnt do a squat!

Does this sound like the battery is TOTALLY drained or like the PS is shot, or something different altogether?

Id LOVE to get this thing up and running if possible for as minimal funds as possible. I can buy a new battery and charging cable for 50 CDN on ebay, but I dont want to drop that money if the thing is a paper weight.

Any advice would be a HUGE help,

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

hi ,my opinion ,not much you can do/find out with out power ,2 options come to mind ,buy just the charger [no need for a battery just yet] ,or take it to a computer shop[low profile one that might not want an arm or a leg to check it for you ] or a friend who might have a universal power adapter to try booting it up

hi ,my opinion ,not much you can do/find out with out power ,2 options come to mind ,buy just the charger [no need for a battery just yet] ,or take it to a computer shop[low profile one that might not want an arm or a leg to check it for you ] or a friend who might have a universal power adapter to try booting it up

I ahve a universal power adapter that I tried using for it, and it didnt do anything for it... no lights, no blinking, no beeps... Now, Im not holding much faith in this adapter as its not worked in my Dell D400 laptop either, so Im not sure if its a dead power adapter or what.

But I was thinking of going to a PC shop and seeing if they had a charger that worked for this and if it did start to charge, then I can order that and then see how long the battery holds a charge - if it even does.

might be a good reason it got left behind !
most adapters don't work with Dell ,unless it says so on the packaging

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.