You've either damaged the motherboard, have the notherboard connected to the case incorrectly, or you have somehow misconfigured the BIOS settings. Reset CMOS, try again, and if it still doesn't work I really think it's time for you to take it to a reapair shop to be checked!

i took the battery out,reset cmos and still nothing works!

ok dont shout. did you make sure everything was fixed in as should be and thermal compound applied properly. hope you didnt use that tape again as this tape will only cause the same problem as it did before. if you put everything together as it should be then you may have a PSU problem of over voltage that frazzling things out.

its all seated properly,i tried it with another psu and its still happening
i put the correct amount of thermal stuff and no more tape!!!

okay i seemed to go so overboard with the thermal paste
can this kill the celeron

doesnt matter if it can cos i can swap the cpu over with a backup

okay i seemed to go so overboard with the thermal paste
can this kill the celeron

doesnt matter if it can cos i can swap the cpu over with a backup

to be honest i am not 100% sure of that myself but i have been told that it can do.:)

UH-OH!

well my new cpu should arrive today-ill give that a try with only a little paste on this one

UH-OH!

well my new cpu should arrive today-ill give that a try with only a little paste on this one

aim for about a millimetre or so spread all over from edge to edge and corner to corner but leave a very slight border line around the edges.:)

That sounds like too much to me, Janine. If the cheap white silicone goop is used, a thin layer spread with the edge of a credit card is fine. If decent stuff like Arctic Silver is used then a dollop the size of a grain of rice is all that's needed. Again, spread evenly with the edge of a credit card (or something similar of course)

Too much is useless and defeats the putpose. You don't want a 'layer' sandwiched in there. You want a very small amount which spreads to fill the microscipoc pits and valleys of the heatsink and heat spreader (or die core) surfaces.

i took it to a repair shop and he said that since its a celron that the amount was fine as it has a silver protection base and it was not on the cpu

my forum has made me some money so im going to buy a new descent motherboard
thanks for your help guys!

hiya catweasle.

i just re-read the post and what i sould have said is about a millimetre or so dollop spead evenly over (as you said with a credit card or something). take into account a grain of rice is maybe 3 or 4 millimetres long.

sorry for any confusion caused there.

amd_sucks i think you've got the right idea in getting a new board etc. i know you think amd sucks but look at the boards and processors now available from amd themselves. read the computer magazines and you'll find that they're running almost parallel in the scoring with intel boards and processors. Just an idea thats all.

For the record i have an amd processor in one of my machines and it beats my intel p4 hands down on performance.:)

For the record i have an amd processor in one of my machines and it beats my intel p4 hands down on performance

Unless both processors are competitors at the same performance level that statement is completely meaningless. Can't compare an AMD64 3000+ with a P4 3.6GHz, for example, or a Pentium D 820 with an Athlon X2 4800+. You have to compare processors of equivalent rating or don't compare at all.

AMD>Intel or Intel>AMD is a really silly debate if people only use the brand name!

Well put Catweazle!

alright thanks guys!!!
big help!

err just one more thing

if i bought a motherboard that could take up to 2.4ghz and i put a....2.8ghz in it
will it work or not recognise the excess speed

Depends.

The motherboard documentation might state that it can accept up to a certain speed processor, but other 'models' in that processor line may have been issued since the motherboard was issued, and be suitable. A BIOS update may enable other such processors to be used.

Alternatively, newer and faster processors may use different settings that the motherboard doesn't provide, and be unusable. It depends on the individual motherboard and individual processor. Clockspeed isn't everything. Processors nowadays are distinguished by 'features' much more than by clockspeed. There are several Pentium processors which run a 3.2GHz for example. They're all different. Some motherboards won't accept them all.

Generally, if you buy a processor and try to fit it to a motherboard where it's 'unsupported' then it won't work because the 'features' aren't there to make it work.

thanks catweazle

Unless both processors are competitors at the same performance level that statement is completely meaningless. Can't compare an AMD64 3000+ with a P4 3.6GHz, for example, or a Pentium D 820 with an Athlon X2 4800+. You have to compare processors of equivalent rating or don't compare at all.

AMD>Intel or Intel>AMD is a really silly debate if people only use the brand name!

i'm just comparing the speeds of what i have here in my home. i agree with you about performance levels evidently but the reason i said about this is because i have one of the first P4 machines (1.6ghz).

i wasn't comparing on a cooperate scale, just for personal usage scale.

theres no point in arguing though.:(

okay
thanx

okay
i did not buy another mobo---i swapped cpu's again!
it worked---it posted
but still no display!

what have i done now???

im going to buy a new board cos i am sick of this!!

YES!!!!
I took the computer to a local computer shop and it was the boards problem---it was bent too much :) it completely works

YES!!!!
I took the computer to a local computer shop and it was the boards problem---it was bent too much :) it completely works

good stuff.:D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.