Specs:

MotherBoard: Asus P2B-F
Processor: Intel Pentium III clocking at 450mhz
Hard Drives: 40gig WD (master) 60 gig maxtor (extra)
RAM: 512 megs of PC-100
CD-Roms: sony 48x/24x/48x cd-burner, 16x Matshita (spell?) dvd-rom
Extra Goodies: tons

My question is will my motherboard see a 120 or 160 gig hard drive?
I think I have the latest BIOS update. My dad thinks the 60 gig hard drive is the max. Is this true or can I a 80, 120, 160 or higher into my computer?

this is the drive I'd like to buy

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310369&pfp=hpf2#checkstore

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Specs:

MotherBoard: Asus P2B-F

My question is will my motherboard see a 120 or 160 gig hard drive? I think I have the latest BIOS update. My dad thinks the 60 gig hard drive is the max. Is this true or can I a 80, 120, 160 or higher into my computer?

The short answer? No.

The long answer: probably, if you use a PCI ATAPI controller like those available from Promise or HighPoint. See the manufacturers' literature for details. The other advantage is that the Intel BX chipset is limited to a 66 MHz IDE bus speed, whereas the add-in cards go up to 133 MHz.

You also make no mention of which OS you are running. If it's Windows 98, you will need to run a disk utility in order for Windows to be able to fdisk the drive. There's supposed to be a "super fdisk" out there that can do this without EZ-BIOS, but I haven't found it yet.

Thanks for your help, I am running windows 2000 pro. do you have a rough Idea on how much a card like that would go for?

Thanks for your help, I am running windows 2000 pro. do you have a rough Idea on how much a card like that would go for?

Here is but one good-fit example (it looks like HighPoint is a better choice for you than Promise); I'm sure there are others -- you could check Price Watch. Note that this example is bootable (it has a BIOS of its own), but won't work with ATAPI devices like CD-ROMs. That's OK, you still have the other IDE channels for that purpose...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.