I was running Windows XP Pro when I signed up for the trial edition of Windows XP 64-bit Pro at microsoft.com. I downloaded the ISO and booted up the PC with that. I proceeded to install my RAID/SATA disk drivers on installation before formatting. After I installed those drivers I started the reformatting on a fresh partition. It got done formatting only to show me an error message saying that it couldn't complete formatting because of an error on the hard disk. I thought "GREAT!". So my only option was to restart and now when my PC restarts it goes through all the BIOS readings and stuff and then gets to a black screen and sits there. It doesn't say it's loading from a CD or anything at all so the only thing I can do is turn it off. Please help with this. I would rather not have to take it in to a shop. I am heading to bed now, I will check responses tomorrow. Please help. Specs in profile.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Worst you would need is a new HD, but if its not booting to the CD or floppy, try turning off the CPU unplugging the power from your cpu, take out the cmos battery and put it back in. Then start it up again.

p.s. You shouldnt be installing Windows XP 64-bit on a non 64-bit system. Thats just never a good idea.

Hope this helps

Shane McP

Worst you would need is a new HD, but if its not booting to the CD or floppy, try turning off the CPU unplugging the power from your cpu, take out the cmos battery and put it back in. Then start it up again.

p.s. You shouldnt be installing Windows XP 64-bit on a non 64-bit system. Thats just never a good idea.

Hope this helps

Shane McP

its not reccomended but it will just about run on a 32bit system at that systems speed. i havent tried it but i know ppl that have.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.