I finally got all of my computer parts in and put it together. I turned on the computer and at first every 5-30 sec my computer would cut off. After trying some differ methods to stop it I thought I fixed it. Well I did my bios, and after that it said to put in a boot disk etc. I put in a 3.5 floppy of win 98 It kept on telling me error.... when I tried to install it. Then I put in a Mcafee antivirus emergency boot disk and the computer killed. Call me stupid for putting in that disk I know but this is my first go around. Anyway now when I turn on the computer everything runs like normal but there is no picture on the monitor. The light on the motherboard comes on, all the fans, the video card fans, etc everything seems to be running the same as before but no picture. Please help me I have no idea what to do. I am going to try and take everything apart and put it all back together but I dont know. Please tell me I didnt damage anything. If something is damaged how can you tell? Anyways Im estarical please help.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

could you try the graphics card in another machine just to eliminate it like
or place another graphics card in your machine

I can trie it when I get home. Right now the only way I have access to the internet is at my local library. I can try putting in a differ video card from a old computer I have in my house. But please give me some differ ideas of what it could be. So I can trial and error when I get home. I dont think its any loose connections. Also when I turn on the computer there is no beeps?

I went home for a little and fooled with it before the library closes and there was one thing i forgot to do, i dont know if it makes that much of a differ though. I installed the cpu,then put the heatsink and fan ontop, but i didnt lock the levers on the plastic peace that goes around the heatsink to make sure that the heatsink is firmly agianst the cpu. I am wondering if the cpu could be damaged. Some of the wording is imprinted on the heatsink from the cpu after examining it (is that normal?). While I was doing my bios the cpu's temp was 74. I read that as long as it doesnt go above 90 than you should worry. It was staying between 72-74. I dont have any other components to switch out to find the problem.Also another problem im having is that I press the power button to turn it on but it wont let me push it agian like before to turn it off I have to hit the p/s switch?

I went home for a little and fooled with it before the library closes and there was one thing i forgot to do, i dont know if it makes that much of a differ though. I installed the cpu,then put the heatsink and fan ontop, but i didnt lock the levers on the plastic peace that goes around the heatsink to make sure that the heatsink is firmly agianst the cpu. I am wondering if the cpu could be damaged. Some of the wording is imprinted on the heatsink from the cpu after examining it (is that normal?). While I was doing my bios the cpu's temp was 74. I read that as long as it doesnt go above 90 than you should worry. It was staying between 72-74. I dont have any other components to switch out to find the problem.Also another problem im having is that I press the power button to turn it on but it wont let me push it agian like before to turn it off I have to hit the p/s switch?

that was my first thought maybe youre cpu was overheating (but im just a junior techie) but then i read that it didnt take long before it shut down so i thought maybe not also did you grease the cpu if so that could be the cause of the lettering coming off. i noticed it had on mine when i gave the heatsink and all a good clean.
in my oppinion 72-74 is quite high if you can somehow get access to sisoftware and run it on your comp it could turn up some more clues. you can find download sisoftware here
also is your cpu intel or amd

p.s i almost forgot you have to set your machine in the power setiings to shut down when you press youre power button!!

The cpu is a p4 2.8g 800bus. The motherboard is the asus p4s800d. I didnt use thermel grease b/c my motherboard manual didnt show me to use it. So I never bought any.

well could you download the sandra sisoftware. i would definetly recommend greasing the cpu. and thsi is really gonna be controversial but to my understanding and ive read up on it a bit! intel p4's are more ressilient to overheating tham AMD's they also have a cutout so to cut out before damage. i cant remember where a i read this but i do believe it(sorry AMD users) but thats good for you. and how did you get on with the other video card

Hi, being a Junior techie myself I can only offer limited advice. You must definately use thermal grease between the CPU and Fan as the problem could be as you say overheating - your BIOS may be set to turn off the machine at a given temp. However, having just experienced the same problem on a new build it's worth checking a few things. 1) that all the bits you have are compatible - ie; right ram, processor, video card etc for mobo. 2) ensure everything is put in the slots properly - sometimes just taking them out and putting them back can work !! 3) check the BIOS settings. My solution was to swap some spare bits around until it fired up although there was nothing wrong with any of them. The absence of a beep on powering I believe indicates that the POST (Power On Self Test) has failed... I hope the above is helpful but I am sure a "Senior" will help out if you keep checking.

well could you download the sandra sisoftware. i would definetly recommend greasing the cpu. and thsi is really gonna be controversial but to my understanding and ive read up on it a bit! intel p4's are more ressilient to overheating tham AMD's they also have a cutout so to cut out before damage. i cant remember where a i read this but i do believe it(sorry AMD users) but thats good for you. and how did you get on with the other video card

For your information, current AMD processors have had a thermal diode (temperature monitor) for nearly two years, and are now no more susceptible to overheating than the Intel P4 series--so it's time we laid that canard to rest :cheesy: .

indeed tallcool1 just becuase AMD's run hotter, doesn't mean that they will overheat more.

ok ok.. tallcool1 as i said it was something i have read and i have done a google on it and still cant find the source. (sorry about that) i have used an amd processor in my last system it worked great but i never overclocked it so i dont know how well it would have performed under a stressful load. but i will take your word for it that the amd's run well under heat. i knew it would upset people but i was merely trying to put stryder's mind at rest. and im sory but i still feel that the pentium outperform amd. if i find the time i will do some more research and properly find out i could well be wrong but i know i WILL be man enough to accept it if im wrong :) :) :)

and im sure that you have found the cause to your problem styder but if anyone else has a similiar problem chek in your bios that your mobo doesnt have full acceleration set as default as a friend of mine recently had the same problem trying to boot into xp for some reason it wouldnt boot with full acceleration on but worked fine with it turned off. im sorry at this point in time i cant remember what mobo he has lol but as soon as i see him i will update :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.