My computer is a bit of a Frankenstein - I bought it in 2002 but have replaced several parts of it over the years. (Motherboard was replaced under original warranty, new hard drive about 2-3 years ago, new RAM a couple years ago, new DVD drive last year, etc)

It was on today and I left it for about 8 hours and when I got back it was making no noise (no fans or anything) and when I moved the mouse to get the monitor to come up nothing happened. The power light on the front of the tower was lit but nothing was happening. I held the power button 10-15 seconds and it turned off. Waited a couple minutes and tried to boot it back up. The monitor had the little bouncing thing that it had nothing to connect to and the scanner started to boot as it always does when the computer starts up, but nothing from the tower.

I then unplugged the power supply and plugged it back in and tried to boot it again, still nothing. When I opened the tower there was a green light on, not sure what it was to (motherboard?)

I figure it is on its last leg - but I'd like to try and get it running to pull some files off it, if possible!

Computer is a gateway and running XP if that helps any

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Check the connection between the computer and the monitor, i know it sounds stupid, but i friend of mine simply had loose connectors..

Monitor connection appears to be fine. I don't hear any signs of it trying to start up other than the scanner booting when I hit the power button.

Does the computer make any beep sounds when you start it up? if so, describe the beep ie. one continuous beep, or two short beeps.

No beeps. No sounds at all.

As far as my knowledge can help you, i can only suggest a hardware fault, if it was a lap top i would suggest a batterie problem... hopefully one of the more advanced members can help you.

..try to reset your hard disk drive..pull it from its connection and put it back again OR try to clean your memory sticks..use eraser in cleaning!..if the issue continues then try to swap a new memory sticks to your old memory sticks or change the current slot of your memory to its extra slots..i hope it helps!..^_^..

..try to reset your hard disk drive..pull it from its connection and put it back again OR try to clean your memory sticks..use eraser in cleaning!..if the issue continues then try to swap a new memory sticks to your old memory sticks or change the current slot of your memory to its extra slots..i hope it helps!..^_^..

If the RAM was the problem you would hear beeps when you started it up, i removing the hard drive and putting it back in could do something..

..just try what i wrote..there is nothing to loose..^_^..

It sounds as if the motherboard doesn't pass the self test.

My experience is that it usually is a problem with the PSU.
RAM problems would give you some beep "error codes", and unless your HDD is burned out and short-circuited (which probably would burn your hdd controller(MB) as well), fiddling with the hdd cables, doesn't change a thing.
Hard-drive errors will in most cases bring you to some stage in the BIOS self test (generating at least some signal to the screen).

Try to find another power supply unit (PSU)and test if you can get it to boot with that.

good luck :)

Unplug your PSU internally. Then get a bit of wire or a paperclip and short the GREEN wire to any BLACK wire on the connector that goes to the motherboard. The PSU should fire up, if it doesn't then it needs to be replaced.
Gateway computers often have Bestec PSU's fitted in them and they are cheap rubbish.
Odds are that the PSU has indeed failed!

Pulling the hard drive connection didn't help. Next will be to try and figure out this PSU thing...

Looks like it is the PSU, just shorted green and a black and nothing happened

Yup, it needs to be replaced then. Get a decent quality 400watt or more one and you should never have problems with it!

Make sure whatever PSU you get is quite heavy. Heavier ones have decent sized heatsinks in them which means they last a lot longer than the cheapo light weight ones!

Spewing! oh well, take it easy lads.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.