Member Avatar for aaafan

I'm running short of USB ports and could change my keyboard to connect via PS2.
1) Do I have to reboot to use the PS2 connection?
2) Would there be any disadvantage in using a USB flex hub?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

1) You will have to boot it with the keyboard plugged into the ps2 port in order for it to work.
2) Nope!

Member Avatar for aaafan

Many thanks

No problem! :)

Member Avatar for aaafan

Follow up if I may.

If I decide to get a new wireless keyboard can I connect the 'transmitter' via a USB/PS2 adaptor and would that then need a reboot?

If the new keyboard supports ps2 connection then yes! If it doesn't support ps2 connection then nope.

With my previous post I was assuming your usb keyboard came with a ps2 adapter. If it didn't and you bought one, it may not work. Some usb keyboards support ps2, some don't. It's a bit of a lottery as it's difficult to tell if they have ps2 compatability unless it's clearly stated on the box or if they have a ps2 adapter in the box with them!

Have you thought about a usb pci card? If you are short of usb ports and have a spare pci slot then it can be useful.

Member Avatar for aaafan

Thanks

Does the pci card involve opening the PC ?

yup you have to restart after you change it....

Yup, fitting a pci card would mean opening up the computer. It's not a difficult task and you will find plenty of tutorials via google or even tutorial videos via youtube!

Member Avatar for aaafan

Thanks

No problem! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.