Hello, I'm very new to this whole buying components and created your own gaming PC. I've managed to come up with a list of components and am looking for advice on what to buy.

Here's what I've got:
- Coolermaster Elite 334 Case
- Corsair 4GB(2x2GB) RAM
- BeQuiet! 600w PSU

Here's what I'm getting soon:
- LG GH22NS50 DVD+RW
- 1TB Samsung HD103SJ
- 1GB Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti OC Graphics Card

Here's what I need help in deciding on:
- Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H
- AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

Basically, I'd like to know if all these parts go together well, and if they do, is there any better parts for around about the same price? It's recently come to my attention that the AM3 Motherboards are going out and new Bulldozer's are coming in. I don't know if this matters or if it will be really important to me. Please help!

It's the Motherboard and CPU that I really want advice on!

Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Should work ok, but personally I would get an 890FX board. Aslo, check the RAM against gigabytes compatibilty guide on their site.

Thats like £70 more expensive, quite a considerable increase. Woudl you say theres good reason for that increase? If so, what are they? :)

Thanks for responding by the way. :)

890 is a more up-to-date chipset. You have listed a black edition processor which makes me believe you might be overclocking.
The Corsair RAM can be overclocked, as can the GPU.
Stands to reason to get a board capable of running the rest of the hardware :).

hi geomarine,

for a basic rig, cooling solutions and cabinet choice does not pose much of an issue, but for a gaming rig, where temperatures can get a bit on the high side, you should look for cabinets that offer better cooling. you could try out something the cooler master 690 series. heres a link to their coolermaster 690 advanced http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6638

also these high end gpu s require a lot of power, as well as an 6pin or 4 pin power supply, so when you go for the smps, be sure to check if it meets those requirements.

also, unless you have already decided on making an amd platform, maybe you could check out intels core i7 range. the reason being the x58 chipset on which their boards are based upon, they support both SLI and CROSSFIRE multi-gpu solutions. a bit of future proofing if you want to upgrade in the future.

happy shopping..

OP already has the case.

To go Intel is a big jump in price for not much more performance, gaming wise.

The gpu he has is not a high end, but a mid end card that will not draw anywhere near the power requirements of say a 570 or 580 gpu.

Also only has one 6 pin plug.

Again, the ASUS board has onboard graphics which you do not need if using a discrete card.
I am biased towards the Gigabyte as that is the one I am running :).
Nothing wrong with the ASUS though and it will do just as good a job.
Agai though, you will want to check both websites for RAM compatibility.
If the Gigabyte board is revision 3, it will have BullDozer compatibility too.

I won't be buying the dedicated graphics card immediately, I'll be leaving that till last. Also, is there a problem having the onboard as well as the dedicated? Like, do I have to turn the onboard off or something?

If both of them do the same performance, then I might aswell get the cheaper Asus, I will check for the 'Revision 3'. Nice to have it more future proof. What section of the Spec to I check for that?

When you get to install the graphics card you go into the bios and select it as the initial display device.

Knowing which revision board you are getting .................luck of the draw, unless you select it personally. Old stock is usually sold first :).

Ohh ok, so I can't really decide if I get it or not. :) As long as those work with my RAM I can choose either...basically. :D

Thanks for your help, unless you got any more advice which I'll happily accept.

Nothing left here :).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.