Hi,
i recently bought two brand new Nanya 256mb sticks of DIMM ram, but when i try and out the pair in together there is no signal to my screen, then i take out the second stick and the screen works again, i think i might have a problem with my second slot, has anyone got any suggestions???

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Test one memory stick at a time and try it also in different dimm slots.

Do as Fren said, testing each stick at a time will either rule out the slot being faulty or the RAM itself being faulty.

hi dathay,

make sure that your DIMM Ram is compatible with each other, if you are using PC 100 then the other should be the same, if not it will cause your system to function improperly. but do what serunson and fren said, so you can know which is which that causes the problem.

Hi i've tried the both sticks in the 1st slot and they both seem 2 work, but when i try both 2getha the screen says 'No Signal'. if my second slot is faulty can i buy a new one or will i be able to repair it, or will i have to buy a new Motherboard??

It is difficult to repair a dimm slot. I had the same problem with you before. Maybe the 2nd dimm slot has some oxidation or foreign build up inside the slot and it needs cleaning. What I did was reseating the memory stick in the slot several times and at the same time cleaning the slot with a brush. Be careful while reseating the stick into slot. It worked again.

Or

Resoldering the cold soldered or changing the dimm slot is another solution. But be careful on this procedure. You may mess up the other sensitive components.

Or

As is. You can still use your computer with only one stick installed or upgrade it with more rams.

Or

Last resort is to buy a new motherboard.

hey guys i got the same problem :(, my pc was working smoothly when suddenly my screen start to turn on and off each 2 second :(, then my cpu got the same problem so when i changed my ram slot and i put the ram on the second slot the cpu work again, but what really happen guys ? why is my screen turn on and off ?? and ram slot got this problem ?

hey guys i got the same problem :(, my pc was working smoothly when suddenly my screen start to turn on and off each 2 second :(, then my cpu got the same problem so when i changed my ram slot and i put the ram on the second slot the cpu work again, but what really happen guys ? why is my screen turn on and off ?? and ram slot got this problem ? i hope to get a reply fast, thanks :)

Buy a computer, with 4gb RAM like most people -__-

And that will fix the faulty motherboard slot?

It will not fix the faulty motherboard, but replace it, making a negative a positive :)

It will not fix the faulty motherboard, but replace it, making a negative a positive :)

weird ,how did you last for 158 post ,the forum bandits should have shot you way back !LOL

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.