tanz0 0 Newbie Poster

Hello. I recently purchased a first generation Proliant DL760 off e-bay due to the fact that I needed a server of some kind, and thought that since it would have as high specs as a pc I could build for the same price, and would most likely be more reliable, that I should go for it.

However, upon inserting an 18GB hot-pluggable drive bought seperately, the Smart Array 5300 Controller tries to initalize it for about a minute, and then gives the message Drive Array Controller Failure. The status panel on the front of the server displays the message, drive array not configured.

The time it takes for the drive to fail to initalize is not consistent however, and sometimes it does initialize, but gives the message 'storage enclosure error detected', although I am able to configure it as a logical drive.

Also, when trying to run the ROM based setup utility for the server after the drive failes to initialize, by pressing F10, i get the message 'CPU bus Parity Error.' Is the drive broken or is it a server hardware fault ?

Thanks, Michael.