I'm not the greatest hardware person in the world. Overview: My "test" computer is an HP of some sort...I'm not too fond of HP .. my casing is long gone, and is bare metal now.. and don't remember what type of HP it is... so calling HP would be pointless.

Went to install some more Ram... wouldn't boot up, afterwards.
(Note: To even get to that side of the motherboard on my box, you have to unscrew the fan, and the power supply.)
I figured... maybe I accidentally unplugged something. Checked everything.. nothing.

I get power. To the motherboard, as well as everything else. All of my fans are running.

Things I've done to try to fix it:
Take the extra ram back out.
Reset the bios (through the jumpers.)
Took the cmos battery out
unplugged the motherboard power, checked the pins, and plugged back in.
Unplugged everything else and plugged it back in.

My monitor doesn't come out of idleing when I turn my computer on... So I'm guessing the bios and what not are just not coming up, or whatever. (not a hardware person... don't know.) Yes, the original ram is put back in correctly, and did click. Yes, everything else is plugged in.... I just.. feel as if I'm missing something, or there's something else I haven't done, but could.

So the question remains, is there anything left to do? Or should I accept that the thing is dead... torque it, and get another new one? Any ideas? Thanks :-|

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I'm not the greatest hardware person in the world. Overview: My "test" computer is an HP of some sort...I'm not too fond of HP .. my casing is long gone, and is bare metal now.. and don't remember what type of HP it is... so calling HP would be pointless.

Went to install some more Ram... wouldn't boot up, afterwards.
(Note: To even get to that side of the motherboard on my box, you have to unscrew the fan, and the power supply.)
I figured... maybe I accidentally unplugged something. Checked everything.. nothing.

I get power. To the motherboard, as well as everything else. All of my fans are running.

Things I've done to try to fix it:
Take the extra ram back out.
Reset the bios (through the jumpers.)
Took the cmos battery out
unplugged the motherboard power, checked the pins, and plugged back in.
Unplugged everything else and plugged it back in.

My monitor doesn't come out of idleing when I turn my computer on... So I'm guessing the bios and what not are just not coming up, or whatever. (not a hardware person... don't know.) Yes, the original ram is put back in correctly, and did click. Yes, everything else is plugged in.... I just.. feel as if I'm missing something, or there's something else I haven't done, but could.

So the question remains, is there anything left to do? Or should I accept that the thing is dead... torque it, and get another new one? Any ideas? Thanks :-|

First of all be sure that ram wasn't inserted backwards. If it was then things could have fried.

Things to check:
*Be sure that all of these are plugged in and tight:
All IDE Cables where they plug into hard drives, motherboard & all drives.
Be sure that all power cables are plugged in tight.

Note: Anytime working in a computer it should be unplugged & your non working hand should be holding the metal frame of the computer as a spark of static can do as much damage as dropping the computer.

Also check that all pci cards etc are fully seated, especially video cards.
Good luck!

Tried all of that too. And yes, I know about the metal. That's why I was like hmmm.... is there anything left that I'm missing..

Tried all of that too. And yes, I know about the metal. That's why I was like hmmm.... is there anything left that I'm missing..

I'd probably try a pci video card if you have one laying around, other than that I can't think of anything else other than it just went bad somehow.

have you tried buying a new computer maybe thats the problem or maybe just maybe the dust has gone in all the curcits i thnk this is a no brainer you shouuld keep the metal case on the bloody CPU.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.