I have XP
My DVD driver will not open.
Do i have to upgrade a driver for this?
Is it free?
Where do I get the driver from?
is it something I can fix it myself?
Is it something on my computer & can I fix it myself?
I am only learning the computer.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Is it a PC or a laptop?

Is it a PC or a laptop?

its a pc

You need to take the side panel off and check the power cable that plugs into the drive then.

Is the power light is blinking when you click eject button?

if power is ok, and still not working you have to do a little maintanence.

Note, this problem can happen because of the failure of a hardware or may be it is simply struck.

in latter case,

turn off the power
there is a hole available in the front panel of your dvd drive. insert a long pin, most likely a needle into the hole. and press it . there is a small liver like thing inside it and pressing the needle against it, will cause the drive to eject a little. then use your hand to open it completely and just slide it to and fro. this will help to remove any dust and your drive may work.\

even doing so , it is not working, you have to open it and clean it. but since you are a beginer better try first method......... all the best....

You need to take the side panel off and check the power cable that plugs into the drive then.

It clicks as if it is trying to open

In that case the tray is jammed. Get a pin or a straightened out paperclip and poke it in the tiny hole that should be somewhere close to the eject button to manually eject the tray. If that doesn't work, then you are going to need a new drive and they are quite cheap to buy. If you decide to get a new one, you will have to first remove or check the back end of your current one to determine if it is an ATA or SATA drive.
If you do a google picture search for ATA optical and SATA optical you will see the difference!

i tryed this and nothing happened.

In that case the tray is jammed. Get a pin or a straightened out paperclip and poke it in the tiny hole that should be somewhere close to the eject button to manually eject the tray. If that doesn't work, then you are going to need a new drive and they are quite cheap to buy. If you decide to get a new one, you will have to first remove or check the back end of your current one to determine if it is an ATA or SATA drive.
If you do a google picture search for ATA optical and SATA optical you will see the difference!

In that case, you need to replace it with a new one. They are cheap these days and easy enough to fit!

You can easily replace a driver. As what Rik said it is cheap. You can also do it by yourself, usually the driver is connected by only 1 to 2 screw you can unscrew them and fix it yourself. You can also purchase a driver from Rik's shop.:D

We only sell in the UK mate!

We can import it from you. Right?

The cost of postage and packaging here in the UK would make something like a cd drive just too expensive!

it might be having problem with internal ribbon. you will see a hole in front of dvd drive. put pin there and push it will open.

If you read ALL of the posts you will see that has already been suggested!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.