Recently config of my PC was celeron with 300mhz, 32 mb SDRAM, 128 kb cache, 4 gb HDD. But today i have added 128 mb SDRAM(so now ram = 128 + 32 mb), and performance has greatly boosted. I am running older version(older than 2nd edition) of WIN 98 and i use it mainly to access internet. And i am planning to install some LINUX on my system.
Can it cause problem if i replace 32mb ram with another one 128(then the ram will be 128+128mb = 256 mb)with such old configuration?
Plz reply.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Please let us know what make and model computer or motherboard you have.

Motherboards have a maximum amount of RAM they can use, example...I have a MSI K7 Pro motherboard which has three slots for RAM, each slot has a maximum capacity of 256MB, this means that my total RAM capacity is 768MB.

With my recent adding of two pre-2000 200MHz Pentium mmx PCs to my fold that I've been fiddling with, I think it's safe to assume 256MB is gonna be the max on old PC66/PC100 RAM slot PCs. One of these PCs has three RAM slots and running with only one RAM card installed. The latest PC has a 4GB HDD and one slot has a PC66 (from what I gather) 32MB card, the other a newer PC100 64MB that came with my year 2000 eMachine eTower running at 700MHz Celeron at the time, a base memory of 64MB expandible to 256MB max. The label eMachine used on their cases clearly stated max memory expansion and you don't find that much these days, sadly

BILL

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.