draven66 0 Newbie Poster

I have never had so much trouble in all my IT life than I have had with these two firewire enclosures. One is a bytec / welland me-320F and the other, well.. I don't know but it has that same damn chipset under the hood. Well I have had the fortune of getting one or two Western Digital drives to work on my Belkin PCI 1394A card but lately I've been into seagate drives because they puurrrr quietly and come with a real (no limited bull) warranty. Unfortunetly the enclosures don't like them as much as I do. Both an 80Gb and a new 300GB model give me that yellow exclamation mark in device manager saying "device could not start", or "drivers could not be loaded" in XP. Why can't they all just get along? No one told me when I bought this thing it would work with only some models, cause then I would of told them where to stick their damn drive. Well more headaches to come I decided to try flashing them with fwupload.exe and the new version 3.8 and 4.0 of the oxfw911 firmware. Not only did this make no difference at all, but one of the flash operations failed in the middle of erasing the rom, so now it doesn't even give me the the yellow exclamation mark in device manager anymore, it's completely unresponsive since it has no code to boot and say "hi there device manager, I'm right here.. see me?". So my question is since the oxford semiconductor chip is soldered on there good and solid, unlike a hotflash situation with a BIOS chip, is there anything else I can do? Can I flash through the IDE end of the board or switch firewire cables really fast with my other (semi) working one ?? What gives?!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.