hi there i recently bought an advent 7082 laptop, it said when i bought it that it comes with 512 meg of ddr 2 ram, but when i got it i went to start right clciked my computer properties and its telling me i have only 384 meg, i panicked then checked it in dirext x dxdiag, then did the winver command it also told me i had 384, then task manager told me also, i got really worried and my mate told me it was ok, he looked in start accessories system tools system information, it says there that total physical memory is 512 meg, and i know for a fact its ment to have 512 because even the sticker on the laptop displays it has 512 meg of ram, does any body have any idea what i should do, is it ok and just displaying it wrong, iv even re formatted and installed windows again, so is it ok or should i get an exchange

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

the last 128MB are likely reserved for videomemory.
Most laptops use a shared RAM system like that, yet few detail in the sales brochures that the usable RAM is the total RAM minus the videoram.

i also bought the same laptop, and says that, is it possible to make my ram higher? and video thingy lower? as the game i play dont need that much and i would like more ram

i also bought the same laptop, and says that, is it possible to make my ram higher? and video thingy lower? as the game i play dont need that much and i would like more ram

Hi nick...welcome to Dani Web

The solution for this is to add more RAM.

For future purposes, you will get more people looking at your post and subsequently more responses if you start your own thread rather than posting your question in someone elses. Btw, doing this is known as hijacking a thread.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.