Just out of the blue I have no sound from my computer. Going to Control Panel and selecting sound and audio devices I get an error message that say's I'm missing a mmdriver file. I'm not sure why this happened but does anyone know how I can restore it. Thanks!!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I meant to mention that I have no sound from any source on my computer.

I meant to mention that I have no sound from any source on my computer.

check this site for mmdriver driver file if you are using winxp,just download it a unzip the file and copy and paste to the c:/windows/system32 folder .i downloaded it and checked it for viruses and it is a ok file ,now im not sure it will fix you problem but the comments on the site say it will ,one poster said the when they installed Skype it deleted the mmdriver file on them
http://www.aramistech.com/tips-tricks/missing-mmdriverinf-in-xp/

Thank you caperjack, I will try this tonight. I did do a search and found this fix from several people including Microsoft:

"Go to Start -> Run and enter cmd.exe in the Open box.
In the command prompt window enter the following:

Expand X:\I386\mmdriver.in_ %windir%\System32\mmdriver.inf

Note: Substitute the correct drive letter for X and leave a space
between _ and %.
Hit the enter key."

I did this and all I got was a message that say's it can't find the the file on my Windows installation disc.

check this site for mmdriver driver file if you are using winxp,just download it a unzip the file and copy and paste to the c:/windows/system32 folder .i downloaded it and checked it for viruses and it is a ok file ,now im not sure it will fix you problem but the comments on the site say it will ,one poster said the when they installed Skype it deleted the mmdriver file on them
http://www.aramistech.com/tips-tricks/missing-mmdriverinf-in-xp/

I did download this file and pasted it to the Windows32 folder as you said. Re-booted, but still no sound. I'm not getting the error message though when I click on audio devices in control panel that this file is missing .... so an improvment but still no sound. Not sure whats going on??

check device manager and make sure sound device drivers are install and working

check device manager and make sure sound device drivers are install and working[/QUOTE

I did go to device manager and everything under device drivers are all working properly. My mobo is an Asus P5B Deluxe and my sound card is a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic BTW.

I've never used the onboard sound from this MOBO but last night I loaded the drivers for this and enabled it in the BIOS. I do have sound but it is very choppy and the volume level varys a lot. Still no sound from the X-Fi card.

try ,uninstalling and reinstall the creative drivers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.